JL Jermyn II vs. Polo/EG Grant

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by paeday, Sep 28, 2006.

1. paeday

paeday Senior member

I have posted this over at AAAC as well. I really wanted to get input before I made the purchase. I have finally decided to get one of the two models and I can't quite decide which one to go for. I was wondering if other forum members could give me some input with their opinions and experiences. I do know that the Jeremyn II will be more $$ but If I go that route, I'll get them at the JL trunk show at NM and I will get some choice in leather colors.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Jermyn II...if not the Chapel, which is the most wonderful shoe I've seen, especially in Parisian Brown Calf.

4. sammy

sammy Senior member

Whichever last fits you best.

5. paeday

paeday Senior member

I have two Polo/EG in the 888 last which fits well. I also tried on a JL model at NM in the 7000 last which fit about the same in the limited time that I had the shoes on. I guess another consideration is that I don't have any John Lobb shoes in my collection. I wanted to be sure that the increase in $$ is worth it.

The Parisian Musuem brown looks delightful...I really hope that I can get it in that color. I was also thinking about the Vale but since I have some EG's in the 888 I was thinking maybe the 7000 last would be something different in my collection (a more rounded vs. more squared toe).

Thanks for the replies...I would love to what others had to say as well.

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

The fit of the 7000 and the 888 lasts are very different and they do not come in the same width.

That said, I might lean to the Jermyn II because of the beveled waist and how elegant the round toe is (for someone who prefers chisel toes), and how I like the medallion-less wholecut look to show off the leather.

Those are two extremely good choices, however. I went to the Mansion wearing Jermyn IIs and placed the Grants beside my feet and I can affirm it's a tough choice.

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jermyn II, no question.

ditto the doc's orders![​IMG]

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd go with the Grants as I feel the Edward Green lasts are more elegant.

9. Roger

Roger Senior member

Most of the discussion seems to have centered around the shape of the two lasts (JLobb 7000 and EG 888) and the (very mildly) beveled waist of the JII and lack thereof in the Grant/Oundle. However, compare the leather finishes. In my experience, the one area in which EG blows JLobb out of the water is in leather finish, and, in particular, the wonderful antiqued finishes from EG. This would be true for the Oundle, but I'm not sure about the RLPL Grant. If it has the typical EG antiqued finish, I would probably choose it.

10. mussel

mussel Senior member

Most of the discussion seems to have centered around the shape of the two lasts (JLobb 7000 and EG 888) and the (very mildly) beveled waist of the JII and lack thereof in the Grant/Oundle. However, compare the leather finishes. In my experience, the one area in which EG blows JLobb out of the water is in leather finish, and, in particular, the wonderful antiqued finishes from EG. This would be true for the Oundle, but I'm not sure about the RLPL Grant. If it has the typical EG antiqued finish, I would probably choose it.

Since JII is the Prestige Line it may be available in Museum calf so it's kind of neutralize the finish argument. But I'd still choose Grant over JII plus RLPL comes with lasted trees.

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would take the new JL Vale over either.[​IMG]

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

The Vale is an incredible-looking shoe. I've got to see it in person, and I might even open my wallet for a pair. I don't think I'll be seeing it on EBay anytime soon.

13. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

I was at the JL store yesterday, and was wearing my new EG MTO Oundle's in Dark Oak (888 Last). The Jermyn IIs were nice but the Vale in Dark Brown Museum Calf was simply amazing!! I was very very tempted to buy a pair.

Between the Jermyn IIs and the Oundle's, I would go with the EGs - the last is a bit sleeker, apart from the museum's all of EGs colors are nicer, and the shoes cost $400 less.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm a huge fan of JL but I would vote for the Grant as (a) I love the last, and (b) I love the medallion. Now, I would take the Vale over either as well [​IMG]

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I would take the new JL Vale over either.[​IMG]
    What do you think makes the Vale better than Jermyn II?