• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jim Tressel resigns

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The Big 12 isn't going to add any Texas schools. There is absolutely no incentive to.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The Big 12 isn't going to add any Texas schools. There is absolutely no incentive to.
Why is this? I am being serious.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
Why is this? I am being serious.

It doesn't add an appreciable number of eyeballs. With Texas, TTech, A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma already in the conference, they have the attention of the overwhelming number of college football fans in the state.

Regardless, they need to add some quality to their conference. Since 1950, only two of their programs (Texas & Oklahoma) have claimed a National Championship. That's the fewest of any BCS conference - in the same period, 9 different SEC schools won a title (8 for the Big 10, 5 for the ACC and Pac12).

At this point, I think Texas would be better off as I-A Independent in football. They could keep all the revenue, sustain their own TV network for smaller games and sell big games to Fox or ABC.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
Hopefully the rumors are true and Urban Meyer is our head coach for the 2012 season.

As someone who hates both Big Ten football and Urban Meyer, I hope this is true.

Originally Posted by Connemara
If anyone doubted that the NCAA is in the tank for the SEC this should clear things up.

You misspelled USC.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a better job.

Agreed, but Stoops is from Youngstown, OH.

Originally Posted by tj100
Over the last 10 years, it has been. But with the Big XII conference increasingly dominated by Texas - and Texas being increasingly greedy - I'm not sure Oklahoma will be a great place to be.

As long as Mack Brown is at Texas, OU has nothing to worry about. Brown recruits great "prospects", but has trouble developing them into a team.

The new Big 12 deal is only for the second-tier games. It's $90mm for games #3-5. It doesn't include the games like UT-OU, or UT-aTm. That contract goes to ESPN and ABC who broadcast the top two conference games each week. It's the contract that has yet to expire. It runs through 2015, and will be renegotiated by FOX this upcoming year in the ballpark of 3-4 times the price of the $90mm contract they just signed.

$90M to show Baylor getting whalloped by A&M doesn't sound like bad money.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan

You misspelled USC.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

TheDroog

Reaction score
I'm very surprised by this turn of events.

Tressel has been incredibly successful, so it's hard to fathom why OSU would turn its back on him. Coaches with his level of sustained success are hard to come by; OSU knows this, which is why it came to his defense in the beginning. Tattoo shenanigans, lying to the NCAA ... I don't know, it's small potatoes when it comes to the millions of dollars that Tressel earns for the university on a annual basis.

What OSU is most concerned about is its reputation, which is the most important factor for any college. The President and trustees are afraid people will perceive Ohio State as a dirty program like the old Miami and Alabama teams. Their fears are magnified though. Lying about what happened at a tattoo parlor? Give me a break. No one cares, and if OSU had some chutzpah, everyone would have forgotten about this by preseason.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I'm very surprised by this turn of events.

Tressel has been incredibly successful, so it's hard to fathom why OSU would turn its back on him. Coaches with his level of sustained success are hard to come by; OSU knows this, which is why it came to his defense in the beginning. Tattoo shenanigans, lying to the NCAA ... I don't know, it's small potatoes when it comes to the millions of dollars that Tressel earns for the university on a annual basis.

What OSU is most concerned about is its reputation, which is the most important factor for any college. The President and trustees are afraid people will perceive Ohio State as a dirty program like the old Miami and Alabama teams. Their fears are magnified though. Lying about what happened at a tattoo parlor? Give me a break. No one cares, and if OSU had some chutzpah, everyone would have forgotten about this by preseason.

The NCAA wouldn't have forgotten about it and they do care. Ohio State knows quite well what happened to USC, better to try to stop the bleeding now.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't add an appreciable number of eyeballs. With Texas, TTech, A&M, Baylor, and Oklahoma already in the conference, they have the attention of the overwhelming number of college football fans in the state.

I see. Makes sense.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I see. Makes sense.

Most likely scenario would be a school in Colorado and Utah to gain the Denver and SLC tv markets and to replace the 2 teams in the north that left.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yep, college sports are dirty, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The NCAA gets to hand out some sanctions (in addition to whatever penalty the program will impose on itself), and we get to pretend that it's not a fundamentally corrupt enterprise.

Originally Posted by intent
The business of college sports is such a joke anyway.

Not surprised at all, but I think the whole enterprise (college football) needs to be rethought, given the ongoing rules violations at the most "successful" programs.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the ****, I went undefeated in Tecmo Bowl 2 one season with the Seahawks. I could just use those plays and apply for the Ohio State job.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rumor has it that there is more to come regarding the allegations against Tressel, much more. Not 6 players selling memorabilia, but maybe as many as 28, and Tressel condoning it. There is a Sports Illustrated article coming out that shows a pattern of misdeeds by Tressel going all the way back to when he was at Youngstown. The Senator has dirty - no filthy - hands. OSU is trying to get ahead of things before the next shoe drops.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Rumor has it that there is more to come regarding the allegations against Tressel, much more. Not 6 players selling memorabilia, but maybe as many as 28, and Tressel condoning it. There is a Sports Illustrated article coming out that shows a pattern of misdeeds by Tressel going all the way back to when he was at Youngstown. The Senator has dirty - no filthy - hands. OSU is trying to get ahead of things before the next shoe drops.
But he was so straight-laced.
frown.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
But he was so straight-laced.
frown.gif

I have a feeling Gee will be announcing his retirement within the next year. The AD will be sent packing, too.
sly.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads