• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil sander versus versace

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello,

What in your opinion is the quality of Versace's leather goods compared with post Prada Jil Sander?

Seemingly the Jil Sander label tends to be a bit more "prestigious" in a sense. Thank you.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Whether or not JS is more "prestigious" is irrelevant to me. GV has been making leather coats and accessories for over 20 years and use some of the best leathers I have ever felt and seen. You only have to look at their extensive range of rare and exotic leathers (ostrich, lizard, crocodile, etc) used across their range.

Their briefcases are made from the highest quality black caviar calfskin leathers (I have two - one is over 10 years old, used every day for work and is still brand new depsite repated knocks). The leather jackets are IMO the finest you can buy (I am talking the Gianni Versace Couture line here not diffusion). And let's remember that Versace were one of the 1st houses to make leather pants huge in the 80s (yes, even in extravagant exotic hides). The point being leather is one of Versace's fortes, whatever you think of the styling.

My experience with JS leather goods is like the rest of the label - fashionistas love it coz it is exclusive, narrow in range in more classic than Versace. I find it boring and the quality overall variable (even pre-Prada JS). But the quality to me is merely good and not a patch on Versace. I find similar leathers on MontBlanc and Huntsman products.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is your opinion on the current Versace leather goods range? I have a few items, and since I have not used them I cannot be sure yet of how they hold up. However the hides, and etc. seem quite high quality.

I know that their Couture line pieces are top notch, and I believe are made for them by Ruffo. But the emphasis of my post was more on accessories than leather garments.

I also think that Claude Montana, and Thierry Mugler were masters at the craft of hides.

By the way I've always found your icon rather interesting.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It also seems to me that Prada the regular line tends to fall into the category that you have prescribed for Jil Sander. Perhaps not as limited in range, etc. but the line almost has an intellectual pretension to it especially considering the stores in New York, and Tokyo. And they are rather highly priced as well.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have to interject and say that I am truly disappointed with Versace leather belts. That isn't to say that other items from them aren't higher quality, but I have two belts by Versace, one was from eBay. The leather cracked very early and became unattractive quickly. I thought that perhaps it was a fake or just a crappy model, but I bought a second belt at retail as I am very attracted to the minimalist yet flashy design, and unfortunately this belt didn't last any longer than the first.
mad.gif
That is my only experience with that - I am unsure of Jil Sander's leather products but my overall feelings with Sander, pre and post-Prada is a thumbs up. I've never been disappointed.

Zubberah

Reaction score
I have to interject and say that I am truly disappointed with Versace leather belts. That isn't to say that other items from them aren't higher quality, but I have two belts by Versace, one was from eBay. The leather cracked very early and became unattractive quickly. I thought that perhaps it was a fake or just a crappy model, but I bought a second belt at retail as I am very attracted to the minimalist yet flashy design, and unfortunately this belt didn't last any longer than the first. Â
mad.gif
LabelKing - haven't seen current luggage collection unfortunately but might pop over sometime soon to check it out. Brian - sad to hear this. Are you sure they were not fake (well, the first one anyway from eBay?). I have over a dozen Gianni Versace belts and have worn them regularly iver the past 8 years - they are still brand new and still reek of richleather from a metre away. Are they the Gianni Versace line or the cheaper Versace V2 Classic line (or Versus or VJC) which are made in Turkey?

Brian SD

Reaction score
The first belt may or may not have been a fake. It shows signs of authenticity, except for its quality. The second belt, I am not sure of. I got it for $150 or so, which makes me think that it's one of the lower-tier designs. I should investigate the actual GV belts to see. Despite bad pasts I still really like the design quality of Versace belts and the overall affordability as compared to Hermes, and your comment is encouraging. Perhaps I should give it another shot; this time I'll make sure that it's top-tier
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Perhaps you can help me compare, Chickpea.

The inside of my eBay-acquired belt says "GIANNI VERSACE - CLASSICS ITALY" near the tip, and closer to the buckle it says "Genuine Leather" and has some sort of a serial number.

Does this sound right or wrong?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can help me compare, Chickpea.

The inside of my eBay-acquired belt says "GIANNI VERSACE  -  CLASSICS ITALY" near the tip, and closer to the buckle it says "Genuine Leather" and has some sort of a serial number.

Does this sound right or wrong?
That sounds a bit suspicious, though I'm not too familiar with the range of belts.

Usually items from the Gianni Versace (or GV couture label) would not say 'classic', and the fact that it says classics with an 's' makes me even more suspicious.

Items from the Versace Classic or V2 line usually just say Versace, and not Gianni Versace.

However, this has been my experience with most articles of Versace clothing and a few belts. I don't know if there are exceptions.

MikeF

Reaction score
Totally fake. Buy it in Hong Kong or Bangkok for no more than US$4. I can't believe people have bid more than $50 on it. I should really get into the import/export business.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is hideously fake. Was that the exact belt you bought? This is what I believe to be an authentic Versace belt. Versace belt All the Versace Jeans Couture, and Versace Classic as well as the Versus I've seen were made in Italy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate it. Yes, I would be highly disappointed if the belt was not fake but was this horrid quality.

However, I'm not complaining on the deal, the belt was only $10, but I would like a nicer one, and now that I am certain this one is a fake I'm confident about investing in a better one.

Specifically that belt you pointed out LabelKing... I find it very intriguing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics