1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jil sander tailor made line

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the quality of the Jil Sander Tailor Made line, such as this suit. Â I assume that the suit is fused.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Actually, all the Jil Sander suits I have come across have a floating canvas and are not fused. They use the absolute minimum of construction and are very soft and almost un-constructed in appearance, but nevertheless are conventionally made.

Another peculiarity Jil Sander's jackets employ: the shoulder seam does not run on top of the shoulder, but slopes down the back. I hope I make myself clear: the seam begins on the neck where it always begins, right in the centre, but then drops down to end at the sleeve, maybe three inches down the back; thus giving a very soft and round shoulder. (A few bespoke workshops use that cut, but I have never seen it in RTW.)

3. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

i have a jil sander tailor made suit
    it has a floating canvas front
    it is as bengal-stripe describes
    they do run on the slim or thin silhouette though, if you have substance to your thighs, you're not going to fit into her pants

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I concur with bengal-stripe and hermes, and would like to add that the cut is slim, but the fit and silhouette is much softer, with less waist suppression than say, a Helmut Lang suit. The style is not unlike Armani in that respect. By and large, the Jil Sander suits I've seen have pretty good construction, the exception being suits from the first summer sans Jil.