• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander suit on yoox

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course it's freaking 6 degrees here in Boston, and I'm not going to be getting out of the Northeast any time soon. This is one of the few times I'm really thankful we have business casual, because only two of my six suits (is that REALLY all I have? Why does my wife make it seem like I have 20?) are heavier weight. But business casual ends next year in New York, so some flannel suits would be nice. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Jil Sander suit I tried on a Jil Sander at NM the other day and I like the styling a lot. Quality seemed pretty good too. I know Johnapril might be able to weigh in here.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a great suit, with conservative styling. You could even wear the trouser as an odd pant. I've seen Jil Sander suits marked down this low at Barney's.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I admire Sander stuff & like the suit.

One related question: Are there different lines of Sander? Are there certain labels or designations of which one should be aware?
Yes. "Tailor Made" is the highest line by Sander. The tailor made suits are fully canvassed, have lots of handy work, and pick stitching on the pockets and lapels. They are also less fitted than the standard line, with less waist supression, and a bit more expensive. If it's not Tailor Made, it's fused and looks more edgy. They also have very little shoulder padding, and medium-narrow shoulders (wider than YSL, Dior, Gucci, but narrower than Canali, Oxxford).

Jil Sander is second only to Helmut Lang when it comes to suits in my opinion, so I highly endorse that one.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The retail price on that suit seems awfully low for the Tailor Made line. Â You may have to buy the suit and report back to us again as to whether it is fused. Â
smile.gif

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the original Yoox price -- not the retail price -- is the one slashed out. The red bold price is the "new" Yoox price, which is a sale on top of Yoox's original price. So, this suit retailed for over 2K probably.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I believe you're right Johnny. The YOOX price is already significantly discounted. Last I recall, tailor made JS suits are in the $1700 - $2100 range at retail.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try e-mailing a question to Yoox's "help" regarding the line, but in my experience, they are completely useless.  I'm guessing that the price will come down by a lot more as Yoox tries to get rid of its F/W inventory, if you can bear to wait.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can wait -- indeed, I can wait seven months or so until the job in NYC starts. So, no rush, but I like to take advantage of good buys early. You're probably right that I could do a bit better on price, either by waiting on Yoox or waiting for a similar item to pop up on Ebay or in a local B&M. Plus, I'm really excited about the bespoke job I'm going to be getting, and he can do some less luxurious flannel suits for just over $1000 if you can believe it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jil Sander suits are pretty expensive at retail, especially these days, with the weak US dollar - this suit could easily top the $2K mark. Nice suit. Since you say that you have slender legs, and Jil Sander cuts notoriously slender trousers, even compared to Helmut Lang and Costume, this suit is pretty much custom made for you. The only reservation I would have is that you (and I am doing this from memory) have pretty squared shoulders and a V shape, and Jil Sander suits, especially those made for the European market, are generally made for more, um, streamlined guys.

As for the "Tailor Made" designation, I've never seen a Jil Sander piece without it, and I everything I own by her (essentially shirts) have this.

Pretty good price, btw. Although the lowest I saw was in an outlet in Leipzig (of all places) that had a similar suit on sale for about $250, back in 2000. Nearly bought it. Now regret not. Could've flipped it on Ebay to feed my jeans obsession.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good memory. Still trying to keep that V-shape, despite the fact that my current profession keeps me on ****** most of the day.
smile.gif
I've started doing Pilates if you can believe it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Jil Sander suit, on the advice of posters on the style forum. I must say I'm impressed with the quality and cut so I'd say go for it. Depending on how conservative your work environment is I'm not sure I would recommend wearing it for work though. I guess it also depends on the suit, mine has no sleeve buttons for exemple....

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree with LAguy and brianSD about jil sander's fit and quality

jil sander does not have any bridge line, just the one jil sander line and all her suits are tailor made

having just come from the prada industrie corporate outlet with jil sander products, the price isn't bad on yoox given the least expensive jil sander suit in the store was E475, which is about US$650; the ebay price on the other suit is therefore a steal

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jil Sander (and recently Prada [since last year]) puts out a high quality suit that fits a slender man well.  Simple, no nonsense styling.  I feel like a high end computer when I wear my crepe wool suit by Prada (if it is even possible to feel like that).  I do a lot of tugging and pulling on suits when I visit these stores, trying to get an idea of how well they are made, what is different about them from the gold standards in my mind.  Usually I can chase salespeople away long enough to do this.  At the Jil Sander boutique in Chicago, my worst enemy is the lighting.  It is so dark in that place I can't tell what the hell color the thing I'm wearing is.

Brian SD

Reaction score
i agree with LAguy and brianSD about jil sander's fit and quality

jil sander does not have any bridge line, just the one jil sander line and all her suits are tailor made

having just come from the prada industrie corporate outlet with jil sander products, the price isn't bad on yoox given the least expensive jil sander suit in the store was E475, which is about US$650; the ebay price on the other suit is therefore a steal
You are right hermes. I could have sworn that there are suits which are not "tailor made." Perhaps I am thinking of older pieces.

I wonder if they sell JS / HL at the Prada outlet in Palm Desert.. I will have to give it a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads