Jil Sander shoes! Opinions??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pjw123, Jan 13, 2009.

1. pjw123

pjw123 Senior member

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...N&sts=sr_men80

I am thinking of buying these, what do u think in terms of quality? Its this or the Paul Smith Cage for 490.00 that I've been wanting to get since they came out. Which are better quality, I know about ps, but not so much about Raf working Jil Sander

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I'd get the Jil before the PS; just my opinion. Whether it's worth the $384 just depends on your budget; Jil makes a decent quality Italian made designer shoe at their regular line... nothing outstanding, but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. I like the styling and have several pairs that have held up pretty well.

If you like that style and the price isn't going to kill you, I'd say they are worth it. Not sure the retail these days, but would guess in the $500-600 range?

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'd get the Jil before the PS; just my opinion. Whether it's worth the $384 just depends on your budget; Jil makes a decent quality Italian made designer shoe... nothing outstanding, but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. I like the styling and have several pairs that have held up pretty well.

If you like that style and the price isn't going to kill you, I'd say they are worth it. Not sure the retail these days, but would guess in the $500-600 range?

$695 maybe?

4. rach2jlc

$695 maybe?
    I wondered... geesh, they've gone up since I used to buy them. I'm getting old. [​IMG]

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I wondered... geesh, they've gone up since I used to buy them. I'm getting old. [​IMG]

Fancy designer shoes used to be like $300. I might be mistaken and they're $595 though, but you get the idea.

6. rach2jlc

Fancy designer shoes used to be like $300. I might be mistaken and they're $595 though, but you get the idea.
    I know. My first pair of HL jeans were like $140 or something and everybody thought I was nuts for spending that. [​IMG] Entry-level Jils like these were about $395-495 way back when, depending on the model. My first "tailor made" dress shirts, which were infinitely better than the recent or post-prada ones, were like $270.

7. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

My experience is limited, but the few pairs that I bought have held up very well.

I think their quality depended on the shoe. The more conservative shoes like the one you are looking at and the one's I bought seemed to be better built.

There used to be a Jill Sander outlet in NJ, $550 shoes were mostly $110 -$200.

I missed that place.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Get the Jils.

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

The Church's for Jil that came out a few seasons ago were decent.

10. pjw123

pjw123 Senior member

Thanks for the opinions, do you guys have any idea who made this particular model on the yoox site? I know it has changed over time, but I guess this shoe was from last season. You think the quality is better than Paul Smith mainline ?