• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander Sartorial (MTM)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wow I was wondering what was with all the bulleted points.
I am excited to see the new store design that Raf comes up with.

I'll see on Sat what they say about bringing in the shoes. The other situation is that my sizing is going to be off since I have a 10.5 and 11.5 in Jil Sander shoes.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside: The service at the chicago Jil Sander is awesome (they held the store open after closing for me two days in a row). Too bad they got my ex-GF to try on this fantastic dress that she keeps telling me I need to get her as a "break up fee" (she works in finance to, so it's kind of funny).

/Aside.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Someone should go into the Chicago or NYC store and look at the shoes because I am really curious. Actually, looks like the prices went up this season. I had my associate fax me the price list and they now start at $2220 to $3510. Last season when they introduced them it was only a aubergine lace up for $1820 and a blue comando boot forr $2640. Now they have 5 models.
Two thoughts...

The Lattanzi store might have what you are looking for. They carry a good number of out there designs. The lady who works there is pretty cool and will be helpful.

Maxfield Bleu had, the last time I was there, a few old pairs of Lattanzis made for various designers. I believe Jil Sander was one of them, and there was another whom I cannot remember.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
2nd fitting for my MTM Jil Sander Sartorial suit, I'll get it back next week.

mtmsart001.jpg

mtmsart002.jpg

mtmsart003.jpg

when two become one
mtmsart004.jpg

mtmsart006.jpg

Overall it came in fine. There was a bit too much break on the pants so those are being taken up. The waist was a bit roomy so that is being brought in a bit. Also, the pant legs weren't baggy; but, I am going to have him trim them down just a bit. Jacket was fine for the most part; but, I am having him nip in the sides a bit to give it more shape. In the runway suits I'm a 52 as they are typically cut much slimmer; but, for the next MTM I think I'm going to start off with the pattern for the 50 as I feel if I did that when it came in I could have probably walked out the door with it that same day.
mtmsart005.jpg

I bought these Jil Sander shoes to go with it too.
mtmsart007.jpg

mtmsart008.jpg

mtmsart009.jpg

mtmsart010.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^ I agree with you on the break in the pants. I'd take in the waist if it were my suit and I had your build. But--correct me if I'm wrong--the Jil Sander jackets I've seen fit like this one, with very little waist supression and very simple lines. It looks quite nice, although not to my personal taste.

The shoulders and chest appear to fit very cleanly--which is what I assume what one would want out of a Jil Sander suit. How's the side profile look?

Can't wait to see the final results.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Well the break of the pants isn't biggest deal in the world..they probably add an extra 1/4" of the measurment taken on the first fitting so that when it comes in they can take them up than let them down.

When I said take in the waist I was refering to the pants...I've actually lost about 10-15lbs since I has the measurments taken (mostly belly) so it's coming in to the point that I could probably wear it w/o a belt if I wanted to.

Shoulders and chest and back were great. Like I said I am having the sides of the jacket taken in to give just a tad hourglass shape.
Their lighting is horrible and when I pick it up next week I'm going to have my bf take pics outside in some good sunlight.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Extra bonus, Michael Sodi (CEO of Jil Sander North America), was in there today so it was cool getting to talk to him about the brand, the MTM and stuff like that.

Also, I agreed with him when he said how amazed he was at the "lightness" of his suit that you could really forget that you're even wearing it.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The shoulders and chest appear to fit very cleanly--which is what I assume what one would want out of a Jil Sander suit. How's the side profile look?
I think it looks very clean there to, and think they did well in starting of on a 52pattern. A profile and rear/back picture would be most informative. As for the break on the pants, this shows a slight difference in style US vs EU imo. I like a nice break in my pants, so they ALWAYS flush in the rear on the top of the soles. This also to not show more than a slight amount of sock. Speed

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
As for the break on the pants, this shows a slight difference in style US vs EU imo. I like a nice break in my pants, so they ALWAYS flush in the rear on the top of the soles. This also to not show more than a slight amount of sock.

Speed

I don't think there is geographic difference. If anything, Italian men (Kiton and Borrelli CEOs, for examples) are big advocates of this no break look.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, who makes the shoes?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oh, by the way, who makes the shoes?

I don't know. I don't think Church's does still unless it specifically says Church's for Jil Sander on it and these at $600 are not Lattanzi.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SoCal, I really like the suit as it is shown but think the adjustments will make it even better. I like the shoes, too. I look forward to seeing more pics.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
The service at the chicago Jil Sander is awesome.....

I haven't been to the Chicago store lately, but have always found the sales people to be very helpful and patient even though I've never purchased items there.

I have to be back in Chicago next week. This thread has inspired me to stop in to take a peek.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
In Chicago work with the chick with an accent (Latina), she not only works there to make $; but, she honestly loves the brand...and so does her roomate who buys a lot of stuff too.

What do you think of the swatch?
I recall earlier in the thread some were talking how pinstripes wouldn't be the "epitome" of Jil.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the swatch is nice, not dominant but subtle.
But makes a statement when your up close.

Speed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads