• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jil Sander overcoat - actually somewhat conservative - thoughts?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been looking for a navy mid-length overcoat for sometime.

Not one of the typical brands I would go for for MC, but I came across this Jil Sander wool -cashmere coat on Mr. Porter. No idea on the construction, fair to say fused given the designer?

https://www.mrporter.com/product/303267

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
About 99% sure this would be fused. I have owned a few things from Jil Sander over the years and have not been terribly pleased with any of them. Construction is so-so and, especially for the price, I can't say I've ever been left with a good taste in my mouth.

All that said this is, as you stated, much more classic-looking than most of the JS stuff I've encountered in the past. Personally I would get annoyed with the light blue underside. Also, I dare not buy outerwear off of the internet as it is more finicky and harder to size than any other garment, IME. However, if you like it then why not.

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably pass without seeing it in person (especially with the contrast lapel). From my experience, most of the JS items that I would buy are from the "Tailor Made" line.

The newer lines that dabble in "modern fabrics" do not have any quality in construction to speak of: fashion focused.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.