• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil sander on yoox--overpriced?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like this knit jersey in white (and black) but $292. seems a little over the top. I wonder how much of this is a lack of bona fide discount at yoox (they claim 40-60% off), and how much is just the Jil Sander name vs. the quality of the merchandise. It looks very nicely put together, but that's merely based on a fuzzy little internet picture. http://www.yoox.com/us/item.asp?codice8=39008222 I have a couple of RL Purple Label pullovers of a similar ilk for which I paid approx $200. each full retail. The only discernable difference from the RLPL vs. Jil Sander is that the "mock" collar of the sander is a little more generous and shapely--the RL collar seems somewhat stingy and has more of a spread that seems inappropriate to the style. Am I nuts to consider this purchase (also thinking of getting the black version of this, as well as a few cotton v-neck sweaters) or is Jil Sander worth this kind of coin? I definitely like the look of some of this stuff. Edit: I just clicked on link and note that it automatically defaults to black jersey. click pulldown menu to see it in white, if you care to.

rothko

Reaction score
IMHO,

not really worth it. I have a very similar sweater from Banana Republic for $20 (down from ~$60). I just don't think there's anything too special about the styling of this sweater.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO,

not really worth it.  I have a very similar sweater from Banana Republic for $20 (down from ~$60).  I just don't think there's anything too special about the styling of this sweater.
All due respect, and similar styling aside, I'd be shocked if the construction and fabric were comparable between the two. Unfortunately it is hard (nearly impossible) to grasp the subtle details such as stitching, weave, drape, etc. within this type of format.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Malo knits are usually very expensive, and Jil Sander even more so (I saw a very simple, superfine cashmere vneck for $800).  Both are just shy of Loro Piana prices, generally.  I personally don't think that the prices are warranted, even though they are going to be very well made, with terrific drape (if they are the right fit - the Malo, especially) even at deep discount.  But if you have money to spare, and realize that you will have to wear the pieces sparingly and spend a lot of money having them cleaned properly, then go for it.

friendlyone

Reaction score
I really rate (i.e., like) Malo, as they are very well made and have very good cuts. I also like zipper collars. Finally, $292 is a pretty good price for a Malo sweater.

So, if you like it, I would go for it.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The next question is white, black or both? Each one is distinctive from the other (duh...black / white--I get it) and both look nice IMO, and besides I tend to do things in two's as I am that type of obsessive/compulsive person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads