• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jil Sander Handmade Shoes

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I was in Jil Sander yesterday and they are re-introducing a line of handmade shoes. So far two styles, a burgandy (dull color mix between a wine and oxblood) derby for $1825 and then a brushed dull blue boot that has a combat style lace up with a more traditional sole for $2550.

The SA wasn't aware who was making them; but, I'm trying to get ahold of someone from The Fashion Spot who is roomates with an SA at the Chicago store to try and find out. I can't remember the sole too much, I know there were maybe 4-5 small nails at the tip of the toe, I can't remember the heel (no taps though).
I know that pre-Prada/Church's that Jil had some handmade shoe offerings; but, no idea who made them then.

The inside of the sole is hand written "Jil Sander Handmade in Italy", so the latter of that statement narrows down who it could be.

Perhaps I missed it in DNR; but, for the shoe afficianados have you heard anything about a firm who is producing these?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was 14-17 years old in the time she was doing men's before the Prada purchase. Last thing on my mind were hand cobbled shoes, so I have no idea.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lattanzi did them and judging from teh prices they might be at it again - although it really wold surprise me.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Now the next question.

For someone completely in love with everything offered from Jil's Jil Sander AND Raf's Jil Sander (as in a huge fan of the house in general)...worth it?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Now the next question.

For someone completely in love with everything offered from Jil's Jil Sander AND Raf's Jil Sander (as in a huge fan of the house in general)...worth it?

How could someone determine that for you? The old Lattanzi for Jil Sander were truly high quality pieces with sharp designs in line with the house minimalist aesthetic so I would say they were a good addition to their offerings, however I can't say if that should translate to an addition to your wardrobe and neither can anyone but you. Maybe I'd wait and research/think things further before making the purchase but that's me.

BTW the Lattanzi Jil collaboration also included a sort of combat boot so this might be another indication that they renewed their partnership...

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Sorry; but, I really don't "follow" shoes to the degree that for shoes in that price range I know Berluti and Lobb and that's about it.

"Worth it?" was more of a...if the shoes are Lattanzi (which I'm still trying to figure out through someone on thefashionspot) what sort of pedigree establishes their nearly $2000 OTR price?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly, highly doubt that Prada is selling Lattanzis for $2.5k. I remember my Jil Sander Lattanzis carrying a higher retail price than that years ago.

My bet is that a number of small makers who were willing to be bullied into making them cheap to get steady work are involved. Or maybe they're taking legitmate $800 shoes, like Mantellassis, and marking them up wildly. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found the Jil Sander by Lattanzis mostly ugly.

Now I understand they were in the Jil Sander mold, but the mold was ugly.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I highly, highly doubt that Prada is selling Lattanzis for $2.5k. I remember my Jil Sander Lattanzis carrying a higher retail price than that years ago.

My bet is that a number of small makers who were willing to be bullied into making them cheap to get steady work are involved. Or maybe they're taking legitmate $800 shoes, like Mantellassis, and marking them up wildly. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Prada has nothing to do with Jil Sander anymore.

The second paragraph is what I was trying to get at. If the maker could be distinguished then by how much are they marking up a classic shoemaker's products/pricing structure for the Jil Sander customer.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lattanzi under his own name starts at $2500. That is not to say that he makes these, but that is how much they cost.

Pariolino

Reaction score
I find the idea of $2500 fashion piece shoes to be quite gauche. With that in mind, Jill Sander has used some good manufacturers in the past and it would not surprise me to see a Lattanzi or Mantellassi make shoes for her. My money would be on the latter.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
A la Borelli and Isaia.

I love how GQ states a few issues ago how Isaia, an old Napoletin family name, has started to make shoes when in fact they arent and are just putting their name on some other makers shoes.

Also, as for the Prada doesnt have control over Jil Sander comment?? I thought they were still owenedby prada....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads