• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jil Sander Fit Question

Orange

Reaction score
I recently purchased an overcoat from Jil (got a really great deal on it). I wanted to get some feedback on this forum on the fit of the coat. In particular I'd like to focus on 2 things:

1.) Is the coat too small for me? It's fine when I'm wearing it without a suit but I got it with the intention of wearing a suit underneath.

2.) The suit looks like a dress. I mean the hourglass shape is really defined and it makes the hips flare out. It kind of looks like a dress in my opinion. Does anyone share this opinion or do you think it's fine?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
looks fine

Orange

Reaction score
So it looks fine even though I'm wearing a suit underneath or it looks fine even though it flares out at the bottom

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like the overall shape of it, but there are a few things that bug me:

1. Is there another button further up to be buttoned? It seems too open above your buttoning point. Particularly around the neck, it barely touches the back of your neck, then swoops off towards the arms.

2. Those may be the biggest armholes I've seen in a long while. Even for an overcoat.

It doesn't seem to be pulling, which may mean the coat is being worn as intended. If that is the case, then I can't say I like the design.

Orange

Reaction score
Crap I forgot to button the top button. Yea I can button up one more. Should i post those pics?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I almost picked up the same overcoat.

Anyways, fit looks fine.

Orange

Reaction score
New pics with the top buttoned up. Now do you think it still fits and is the flare is ok? In particular where the pockets flare out. I think the pocket flaps may be ruining the shape but I would like to hear feedback.

Studio27

Reaction score
I'm just really curious why you blurred out your feet..?

Orange

Reaction score
better than people asking about them or asking why I wore sneakers. I was too lazy to change shoes.

southgate house

Reaction score
Looks fine, but would look better not over a suit. If that was your intention, then you may want to reconsider.

Are you standing in the hallway of a hotel?

I love Jil shit.

Orange

Reaction score
But if not over a suit or a suit jacket what would you wear an overcoat over.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Could be a sweater but probably not in this case given how big those armholes are.

With the top button buttoned, it seems a little tight. The gap at the collar is ugly too and makes me wonder if your shoulders are a bit too broad for the coat.

southgate house

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orange
But if not over a suit or a suit jacket what would you wear an overcoat over.

over a dress shirt and/or a light sweater. this is how these types of jackets are shown on the runway.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40