1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jewelry

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I try to keep my jewelry to a minimum: a stainless steel Raymond Weil Parsifal watch and a white gold chain link bracelet.  I prefer the "silvery" finish to yellow gold, which I find too flashy.  I remember reading in the GQ Forum (back in the day when it was still a useful source of information) that silver is more casual, and yellow gold more formal.  Because my office has gone casual, this ensemble works pretty well with what I wear to the office everyday.  My question is this: would it be a major fashion faux pas to wear this combination with a jacket and tie?  And does anyone have different sets of jewelry for different situations, i.e., work, casual, going out, etc.?

2. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior Member

I keep my jewelry to a minimum as well (one of a few different stainless steel watches and a platinum wedding ring, and that's it).  Like you, I also very much prefer what I think is the more understated style of silver/white gold/platinum.  I don't think there's any question that your stuff goes perfectly with suit and tie.  In fact, the beauty (I think) of that color/style of jewelry is that it goes equally well with suit and tie, or jeans and t-shirt.  And I know the Raymond Weil watch you refer to- I've been thinking about buying a similar one for a while now- and its perfectly versatile.