• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewelry: Where's the line between men's and women's items?

radio3

Reaction score
I've always admired jewelry on women and thought it can look great on men too, but have never really considered it for myself before.

What I would like to have is a better understanding of where the line is between jewelry that is feminine and jewelry that is masculine. I imagine this must be something that others have thought about as well. Any thoughts you have on how to define the distinction between the two would be greatly appreciated.

For example, is the attached necklace really only for women, or would it be appropriate for a man as well? If it is more a women's necklace, then why so, exactly? Thank you for whatever thoughts you can provide.
2269491.jpg

vuorovesi-kaula-pitka.jpg

Belfaborac

Reaction score
Opinion on this will no doubt vary wildly. Mine is that in general jewelry on a man should be limited to a nice watch and one discreet ring. Or less. Necklaces on men invariably looks bad, unless part of a costume.

I can't provide a reasoned argument; it's simply a personal aesthetic judgement with no particular philosophy behind it.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Cufflinks. A watch. A ring, if you really must.

That necklace is a woman's necklace because it is a necklace, i.e. a piece of jewellery for a woman.

Don't do it. Spend the money on a nice suit, or even better, save it for something you really need.

radio3

Reaction score
I agree for most outfits. However, I do think that with some very minimalist styles an understated necklace can add a missing something I suppose in a manner somewhat like the way a tie does to a suit. For example, I like to wear black, grey, or white t-shirts a lot. They're comfortable, simple, flattering to a healthy physique, and convey a low-effort masculinity, but are perhaps a bit plain just by themselves. A simple necklace might add a touch of interest to pull everything together more.

But anyway, let's just assume necklaces might be permissible for the sake of argument. The question I had regards which ones are masculine and which ones are feminine. Where can the line be drawn between an item of jewelry that is really for a woman vs one that is masculine?

radio3

Reaction score
Cufflinks. A watch. A ring, if you really must.

That necklace is a woman's necklace because it is a necklace, i.e. a piece of jewellery for a woman.

Don't do it. Spend the money on a nice suit, or even better, save it for something you really need.

What about a simple cross on a chain, for example? Surely many of those are not any more for women than they are for men.

radio3

Reaction score
Ok, I get the point, it's a valid perspective and most likely representative of the majority of peoples' perceptions. However, if anyone else could provide a counterpoint I would very much appreciate hearing the other side of the argument.

radio3

Reaction score
I'm not sure why men wear ties if the idea is to be as unadorned as possible wearing only what is strictly necessary for functional purposes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where an individual wants to place it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always admired jewelry on women and thought it can look great on men too, but have never really considered it for myself before.

What I would like to have is a better understanding of where the line is between jewelry that is feminine and jewelry that is masculine. I imagine this must be something that others have thought about as well. Any thoughts you have on how to define the distinction between the two would be greatly appreciated.

For example, is the attached necklace really only for women, or would it be appropriate for a man as well? If it is more a women's necklace, then why so, exactly? Thank you for whatever thoughts you can provide.
View attachment 811246
View attachment 811240

I would have no problem in wearing that assuming it to be of solid silver and given to me.

EVOSY

Reaction score

View attachment 811246
View attachment 811240
I believe it greatly depends on the design and personal style. This is something designers definitely consider when they are designing anything, besides jewelry, phones, cars. I think pronounced shapes that we've grown to identify as masculine or feminine definitely determine the line for us, such as flowers, star shaped things, curves. I'll give you an example, if someone wants to buy a necklace with a cross on it, most men will go for a cross that designed in straight lines, minimalistic, for most men I believe less is more, but this again depends on each personal style. for Women, they will probably choose a cross with stones, curvy lines, something to fit different choices of clothing. I believe the lines that make each jewelry piece play a great role in drawing that gender line or blurring it.
hope this helps :), wear what you want though if you love a jewelry piece.

AunToni

Reaction score
Recently, I went to Bottega Veneta to buy a new bag and decided to buy my girlfriend and I bracelets. I felt the "men's" bracelets were too big for my arm and I liked the fit of the women's. However, the sales clerk kept insisting that I not buy the "woman's" bracelet because I am a man. I explained to her that it is a piece of leather stained blue, there's nothing inherently feminine or masculine in it and regardless, it doesn't matter, it's what I want.
Obviously there are lines that are drawn, some thinner than others, between what a body engendered as a man should wear and what a body engendered as a woman should wear. The thing to keep in mind is that these lines are socially constructed and there's nothing wrong with crossing them, or even doing away with the lines all together. Obviously, for myself, be it social conditioning or just aesthetic taste (some might argue that the latter is often determined by the former), I cross certain lines while remaining wholly on the side of others.
Go with what you feel comfortable. As with anything "new," first wear them around the house for a bit until you feel more comfortable seeing yourself with/in it.

Sheepdog149

Reaction score
I've always fancied jewelry. Rock whatever makes ya happy[emoji1690]
20180916_183408.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads