• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewelers putting items on sale

mcnallym83

Reaction score
Should I be cautious when considering sale items from a jeweler?

I'm a university student who hasn't really made many big purchases when it comes to jewelery for a girlfriend. I'm wondering if there are frequent reasons, other than just general lack of sales, that I should consider when looking at a sale item.

I just happened to notice a few of these necklaces without even realizing they were on sale. Some of them are marked down from 429$ to 200$. The massive drop in price has me a bit concerned. Maybe the diamonds themselves are easy to knock out of the channel? Any advice would really be appreciated.

http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...Id=22557332314

http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...423154#reviews

http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...Id=22557442304

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, they are not defective merchandise, I'm sure the store will stand behind them as much as any regular priced items. Jewelry stores have incredible markups to begin with, at least 100%, sometimes as high at 300%. At the original prices those would be rip offs, at the sale prices they seem like reasonable values (I'm sure there is still a very healthy profit margin with those sales prices since they're slashing prices in the pre-christmas run up which is one of their biggest sales seasons.)

You can use ebay as a way to gauge a reasonable price. Try and find a similar 1/4 carat pendant on ebay and see what it goes for there... they tend to exaggerate carat weight, so if the store charges slightly more for a similar item, it is probably a fair deal (assuming you trust the store to be honest about the diamond specs.)

Be wary of some stores that seem to have perpetual sales, many of them use the old retail strategy "mark-up to mark-down" which makes people think they're getting an incredibly expensive piece of jewelry cheap, when they're really buying a cheap piece at an inflated price.

Don't let someone fool you into thinking that the more expensive piece is automatically better, it gives you more options, but sometimes the nicer one is cheaper. Lots of jewelry store staff think they can hustle guys and treat them like idiots that they lead around the store like dogs on a leash. I've seen bracelets at one store for $9,000 and an almost identical bracelet with the same cut, clarity, carat weight, colour, setting and style at another store across town for $3,000.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
They put it on sale to move the merchandise and I'm pretty sure that Zales carries their own merchandise and no others so they cannot RTV slow sellers, they must sell it off.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty typical. Seems like the mall jewelers are always having some sort of sale. There's one place that's 70% off everytime I walk by. If it's always on sale, is it on sale?
lol8[1].gif
Just marketing to make you think you got a deal. I think those diamonds would look like little chunks of frozen spit or rock salt. 10k gold is fine for girls but I'd get a grown woman 18k. If you're looking for a pendant, check this out. It's only $120 more than the Zales. (click on white gold) http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-war...4110&CategID=7 Whiteflash.com introduces the Petite Dreams of Africa™ pendant, part of a designer line of jewelry to raise awareness for and bring financial relief to children in Africa, particularly those affected by the illicit trade of rough diamonds. 100% of the profit from sales of this conflict-free diamond pendant will be donated to the World Centers of Compassion for Children International to provide children the chance for a brighter tomorrow. Set with ‘A Cut Above’ diamond melee, in several variations. Much better quality diamonds, 18k, and the profits benefit little African kids. If she doesn't like THAT, kick her ass to the curb.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics