• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jetted Pockets on Sports Coat?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting a new sports jacket. Perhaps something that isn't in one solid colour this time. I saw a couple of houndstooth fabrics which I can't get off my mind and will probably be what I'll go with for my next jacket. The question: do you guys think it's okay to put jetted pockets on a sports coat? I was recommended the jetted option as it'd look better with the pattern. There'd be a risk of patch pockets not blending in as well with the pattern, is what I was told.

What do you guys think? Jetted pockets would be my go to when it comes to suits, but would it be okay on a sports coat? I'm aware that it's more of a formal option, but would it really be that odd? I do have another odd jacket that had flap pockets which I had removed, but that's an exception in my current warderobe.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only have to please yourself no-one else.
I have a solid dark olive sports jacket which came with jetted pockets. I don’t mind them. Many RTW suit jackets and odd jackets come with jetted-and-flapped pockets and some people like to tuck in the flaps for the streamlined look.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a linen Borrelli Sorrento sportcoat w/ jetted pockets.
It is very informal. But then I abjure patch pockets on any garment

Viatu

Reaction score
I like the look of jetted pockets on non-formal jackets.

yanagi

Reaction score
I like jetted pockets on my sport coats. For example,

Jetted.jpg

If you like them, go for it.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opted for welted pockets on my newest commission. I am not a huge fan of flap pockets and tend to go for patch or welted on most of my projects.
CD778C17-C01A-41DA-B307-F744E3505F0E.jpeg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tailors in the USA call those Besom pockets. Do not use Besom pockets on a tweed jacket. You can always tuck them in if you are feeling sassy
They are fine on sleeker fabrics

AgentGary

Reaction score
I am pretty sure most of the Florentine tailors only use jetted pockets, be it suits or jackets.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To each their own. I think it works well using an English tweed and Florentine or Neapolitan construction.
Examples from Sartoria Corcos.
B8202376-B598-4FED-A5B4-70A759311137.jpeg
0BA3E983-71E3-4508-A66E-93F35B559725.jpeg
764418E9-B40C-4737-B9AD-3BC078EF116A.jpeg
A153696F-636F-4E5E-88CD-6A8AABD561CF.jpeg
0096686E-76E0-4680-8792-E9F317294EC8.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking about getting a new sports jacket. Perhaps something that isn't in one solid colour this time. I saw a couple of houndstooth fabrics which I can't get off my mind and will probably be what I'll go with for my next jacket. The question: do you guys think it's okay to put jetted pockets on a sports coat? I was recommended the jetted option as it'd look better with the pattern. There'd be a risk of patch pockets not blending in as well with the pattern, is what I was told.

What do you guys think? Jetted pockets would be my go to when it comes to suits, but would it be okay on a sports coat? I'm aware that it's more of a formal option, but would it really be that odd? I do have another odd jacket that had flap pockets which I had removed, but that's an exception in my current warderobe.

off topic, why did you actually remove the flap, couldn’t you just tug in?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I actually never use a jacket's side pockets and therefore never even open them up. This specific jacket was also totally unconstructed, so there was a higher risk of sagging if the pockets were used. The tailor recommended that the best course of option would be to remove the flaps and then close the pockets, which also would remove the risk of the tucked in flaps creating any form of billowing in the pockets.

MStock

Reaction score
I usually do that with some of my jackets, I see no point on having plain jetted pockets. Also, flap pockets are harder to make since it’s basically same thing but you have to pattern match an extra piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics