• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jersey Bashing

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I agree one is highly urban the other is suburban. People from NYC call us country, so I do understand the tension Jersyians have with NYers. But I'm not sure one could reasonably ompare the amount of wealth in NJ to Ny, NYC has more billionaires than NJ has as a state and probably some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the world .

That doesn't mean anything. We have the highest median income in the country. We have 3 out of the top 10 counties by median income (new york has 1). What place has the most billionaires is pretty meaningless.

As far as New Jersians taking things too seriously, take a look at any thread when someone talks **** about New York. New Yorkers get their panties in a bunch faster than anyone else.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
That doesn't mean anything. We have the highest median income in the country. We have 3 out of the top 10 counties by median income (new york has 1). What place has the most billionaires is pretty meaningless.

As far as New Jersians taking things too seriously, take a look at any thread when someone talks **** about New York. New Yorkers get their panties in a bunch faster than anyone else.

Don't forget certain fans of Toronto. There's one here that gets his panties in a bunch, funnier than anyone else I've ever seen, over a city.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't mean anything. We have the highest median income in the country. We have 3 out of the top 10 counties by median income (new york has 1). What place has the most billionaires is pretty meaningless. As far as New Jersians taking things too seriously, take a look at any thread when someone talks **** about New York. New Yorkers get their panties in a bunch faster than anyone else.
As a state NJ has the high median income that doesn't mean their is an equitable amount of wealth in NJ. I'm sure the best blocks in NYC are far more expensive than the best in NJ, due the concentration of wealth.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
As a state NJ has the high median income that doesn't mean their is an equitable amount of wealth in NJ. I'm sure the best blocks in NYC are far more expensive than the best in NJ, due the concentration of wealth.

Again, it's hard to compare. If you compare houses that are the same size, then you are right. If you are comparing house sales in general, then you are wrong. For example, the average house sale on the upper east side is 1.13 million. The average house sale on the most expensive street on the upper east side was 3.6 million. The average house sale in Saddle River, NJ, which is one of the most expensive towns in NJ is 3.78 million. Average house sale in Alpine, NJ is 3.4 million.

New York might have the most billionaires, but NJ has the most millionaires (measured in liquid or investible assets).

I don't think wealth is really a good comparison. Both places have very wealthy people, as well as very poor people.

Like I said, different strokes for different folks. Some people like to live in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, and some people like to be close enough to go visit, but far enough that they go to sleep in a nice quiet neighborhood.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like I said, different strokes for different folks. Some people like to live in the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, and some people like to be close enough to go visit, but far enough that they go to sleep in a nice quiet neighborhood.

Then they live in Westchester or Connecticut because it doesn't smell and there aren't any Guidos.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been in New Jersey for almost five years now and never seen a guido, except in pictures. I've seen some quasi-guidos on the train a few times.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
I have been in New Jersey for almost five years now and never seen a guido, except in pictures. I've seen some quasi-guidos on the train a few times.

Who are you trying to fool? You don't even want to admit you are from NJ in your "Location:" field.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Who are you trying to fool? You don't even want to admit you are from NJ in your "Location:" field.

lmao

This thread sucks BTW.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once drove into Newark and within 5 minutes I saw a pile of burning tires / trash and a pack of stray dogs. I thought "holy crap, it's all true." Then I got into Central Jersey. Like everywhere else, there are good parts and bad parts. Anyone who thinks differently is just dumb.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But odoreater lives in the good part, so it's still lose/lose.

singhstyle

Reaction score
Posting this thread was a source of great hostility. Connecticut is torture... Yes, Fairfield may be the richest county in the U.S. but the people there suck, traffic going to Fairfield is unbelievable... and I don't know anyone who has enjoyed a trip to Connecticut. For the record, Albany is on par with Buffalo for being a real ****** boring place.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
Connecticut is torture... Yes, Fairfield may be the richest county in the U.S. but the people there suck...and I don't know anyone who has enjoyed a trip to Connecticut.

Your well-thought out, mature arguments reflect very well on your state of residence.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I always want to defend New Jersey; but its hard sometimes. But really, most of New Jersey's problems come from New York dumping their toxic waste on our shores.
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
Jersey sucks. It's science.
rotflmao.gif
Originally Posted by texas_jack
The only part of N. Jersey I've seen is Trenton.
Keep it that way.
tongue.gif
Seriously, Jersey has some really nice areas, but are overshadowed by the crappy ones. I remember one time my dad (who doesn't speak English very well), got lost in Camden. It was late and he stopped and asked some high school students for directions. They tried to distract my dad and get inside his car, so he took off. Luckily he wasn't hurt. But the moral of the story is that you should never enter Camden at night.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Blue, and myself live in the princeton area, free from guidos (for the most part). If you've never been to Princeton, Red Bank, or Colts Neck then you have no business talking about NJ. You have a very narrow vision of what NJ is, its like judging NY based on Bed Sty, the Bronx, or Jamaica Queens. For what its worth, there are parts of Trenton that are actually quite nice, If you found yourself in the Cadwalader Park area, you'd be amazed.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Princeton is one of the nicest towns in the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads