• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jersey Bashing

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe if I ever decide to go to a NYC SF-meetup I'll guido myself out for you guys' amusement.

Or, even better, I'll bring some real life guidos and see if any of you pocket square types have the stones to talk **** to them. It would be amusing.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Maybe if I ever decide to go to a NYC SF-meetup I'll guido myself out for you guys' amusement.

Or, even better, I'll bring some real life guidos and see if any of you pocket square types have the stones to talk **** to them. It would be amusing.

Wear all black with a white tie so we can recognize you.

cheers.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that IROCs are like 25+ years old, what do guidos drive?

flashback

Reaction score

so you are friends with guidos then?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't put my hand on it but there is something distinct about Jersey folk. They may be a bit more ill mannered than most.
I've been to Jersey very few times, it reminds me of the parts of NYC I don't like some parts of Queens and Staten Island. Jersey is probably perfectly fine being next to the best city in the country just makes it look crappy in comparison.

singhstyle

Reaction score
Im from Union County as well.

singhstyle

Reaction score
... and I still don't understand why Guidos are such a ******* focal point in this conversation. Goddamn it, that's like me saying I dont like Albany because there is a lot of white trash that hails from there. It makes no sense.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I can't put my hand on it but there is something distinct about Jersey folk. They may be a bit more ill mannered than most.
I've been to Jersey very few times, it reminds me of the parts of NYC I don't like some parts of Queens and Staten Island. Jersey is probably perfectly fine being next to the best city in the country just makes it look crappy in comparison.

Comparing the two is stupid. They are very different places and offer very different lifestyles. Contrary to what most new yorkers (real new yorkers, not people from Albany or Saratoga) think, most new jersians don't want to live in NYC. And, contrary to what many new jersians believe, most new yorkers are not in denial and secretly want to live in jersey. And nobody from around here wants to even drive through upstate new York, nevermind living there.

Parts of nj look bad in comparison to NYC. Many parts of NYC look ****** compared to nice parts of jersey. That's why many wealthy celebrities who can afford to live anywhere in NYC choose jersey instead - because many people just prefer this lifestyle.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
... and I still don't understand why Guidos are such a ******* focal point in this conversation. Goddamn it, that's like me saying I dont like Albany because there is a lot of white trash that hails from there. It makes no sense.

Yes, it does make sense. I haven't seen the nice parts of Jersey really. I am sure they exist, and are probably the same as the nice parts of Westchester or Connecticut. I just haven't been through them. Guidos are the only people from NJ that seem to swarm to NYC on weekends, which is why they represent NJ to a lot of New Yorkers. Makes perfect sense.

Also, making fun of NJ is very fun because it is so easy and people from NJ get really worked up about it. It's kind of like making fun of Conne. Except he doesn't get worked up about it.

I also dislike (many) Staten Islanders and Long Islanders. Some of my best friends come from there, so I can separate the stereotype from the individual, but in general people from there are also guido-types (the ones who come into the city). Even my good friends from Staten Island admit the general population there sucks!

There is no denying that there is a "type" of person that comes from the two Islands and NJ to party in NYC. You can tell them from a mile away. Obviously, the people from NJ that blend into NYers when they are here are rather invisible (if they are not dressed like d-bags, there is no identifier), so it's hard to include them in the conversation, unfortunately.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To NJ's credit, Lawn Guylanders may be the worst of the worst.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Metro- are you saying that no new yorkers dress that way?

Also, it says more about NYC than jersey that your city attracts our douchebags. It's like NYC is a douche magnet.

Finally, to say that the guidos are the only njers who go to the city is stupid. Go to any office and start asking around where the people who work there live. You might be surprised to find that a lot of them are from jersey.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You take **** way too seriously, like most NJers. Jesus.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing the two is stupid. They are very different places and offer very different lifestyles. Contrary to what most new yorkers (real new yorkers, not people from Albany or Saratoga) think, most new jersians don't want to live in NYC. And, contrary to what many new jersians believe, most new yorkers are not in denial and secretly want to live in jersey. And nobody from around here wants to even drive through upstate new York, nevermind living there.

Parts of nj look bad in comparison to NYC. Many parts of NYC look ****** compared to nice parts of jersey. That's why many wealthy celebrities who can afford to live anywhere in NYC choose jersey instead - because many people just prefer this lifestyle.

I agree one is highly urban the other is suburban. People from NYC call us country, so I do understand the tension Jersyians have with NYers. But I'm not sure one could reasonably ompare the amount of wealth in NJ to Ny, NYC has more billionaires than NJ has as a state and probably some of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the world .

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually hung out with a few guido-lites last night, and bashed guidos in abstracto.
bigstar[1].gif

Mostly went over their heads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads