Jefferyd reviews Indochino

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 18, 2012.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am very happy that you are willing to do so. There are very few people who are willing, publicly, to draw back that curtain, as you know, and in some interviews I've done, especially before you get to know someone, you often get what sounds like agreed upon copy. It makes for neither an interesting interview nor an informative one, which can be frustrating.

I completely agree with this, and I think that the biggest difference between the younger generation and the older is that the younger generation is, for a variety of reasons, wants more transparency. I don't see that there is harm in this. I also think that the snide comments about the marketing, instead of an attempt to analyze its effectiveness, to be uninteresting and closeminded. BTW, I'd be interested in your thoughts about J. Crew's Ludlow suit, both in the concept and the marketing.

I'd love to see that here our on your blog. Thanks Jeffery.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

it seems as if the pop up shop has try on suits

this method is preferable to someone with out a lot of experience just taking measurements.

I think MYSUIT works with try on suits as well.

the Pop up shop looks great.

how does this translate back to the online experience on your computer screen.
    you can no longer feel the fabric, or make sure the colors on your screen are true.

3. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I hope your suit turns out better than those in the Indochino thread here. That thread alone is reason enough to never want to risk Indochino vs. decent RTW.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Jeffery, I think everyone here would trust your impartiality. You're probably the fairest minded writer I've ever read, but I understand if you don't want to be even suspected of bias.

For what it's worth, I think it would be interesting if you could do a review of J Hilburn. They're another online MTM operation that's trying to find creative ways around the self-measurement problem (as well as the problems that Carl has brought up, such as the inability to truly judge fabrics through a computer screen).

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

reviewing garments made in large factories in asia is sort of a useless endeavor.
    the garments made for MTM online business, might be cleanly made machined garments.
    nothing wrong with that.
    the fabric could be Italian or chinese..
    there is really nothing jeffery will tell you , that you could not figure out on your own. from reading old styleforum threads.

His point was the process and presentation. the quality of the garment is almost secondary.
    you can't expect an amazing garment at those prices

Now if the fit is on, then Indochino is on to something.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Hi Carl,

I agree. I don't think anyone is expecting the construction or materials to be any different from what's usually offered here. I think what will be interesting is to see whether or not the fit is significantly improved. JefferyD seems especially well positioned to answer that question, not just because of his expertise in the subject, but also because of his participation in "fit critique" threads, many of which consist of members posting their Indochino suits (I believe). Even if it's a far cry from bespoke, significant improvements in online MTM would be noteworthy, especially for men outside of major metropolitan areas or who are on tight budgets.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Maybe they are bringing back the Edwardian waistcoat.

10. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not really aware of the suit, and I know next to nothing about marketing so shouldn't attempt to comment on that. There is a J. Crew near my place, though, so I'll stop in some day this week and have a look.

I think try on suits are essential. How does it translate to your computer screen? Rather poorly, I should think. However if you are a kid coming out of school in Kalamazoo, you may not have a million options. If you could get to a popup store to get fitted, order a first suit and get an idea of the type of cloth you like, then the online process for follow-up orders is a lot less intimidating.

I'll have a look and report back if they're doing anything interesting.

Well, I think a lot of people (especially online) DO expect amazing garments at these prices. And nothing is stopping them from developing a better range of clothing; these are very clever people.

Their target customer is early twenties, edgy, and fashion conscious. If their ad campaigns appealed to old farts like us, then they would be doing something wrong.

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess the concern is whether they're achieving it. In-person try-ons as described by Jeffrey in his post could be a big step forward there. With measurements and so forth, the results (as seen in the Indochino thread) have been pretty consistently terrible. And that's from menswear hobbyists who post on Styleforum. I've been very hesitant to recommend online MTM on PTO for that reason. That said, reports on Indochino's service have been consistently very good. I just don't think a lot of men would know that they need a completely recut suit, as maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the guys in that thread do.

12. celery

celery Senior member

That thread scared the crap out of me, most of the time you can see what they were thinking when they put in their measurements. "If I just input a smaller number on the waist, I'll get waist suppression!"

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Very interesting post from Jeffery (as usual), I do believe it is made evident by his post that he is discussing customer experience and how even old institutions must change if they want to interest a younger clientele.

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1