1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pink22m, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior Member

I wanted to get the forum's opinion on drip drying jeans. Do any of you do it? I normally machine dry my jeans, but with my really soft denim jeans from Zegna, I think I would much prefer to drip dry them then let the dryer have them. What are your thoughts?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes, I have done it when I thought I didn't want my jeans to shrink any further. Actually, I stretched them out while wet before doing this. Spread them out flat (I do it on top of the washer/dryer) and smooth them down, then lay them on a towel, fold the towel over on them, or put another one on, then roll the whole thing up tight, and leave for a while. Then hang them the rest of the way dry.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

I don't know about your Zegnas, but as someone who has lived abroad where the use of clothes dryers is not widely spread, I can tell you any regular denim (the old-fashioned "De NÃ[​IMG]mes" kind) is then very stiff, even after ironing.  What, you're thinking, you iron jeans?.

Ah, memories...

4. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

I almost always air dry my jeans. Most high end jeans, I'm sure your Zegnas included, recommend not using the dryer. The jeans may be slightly stiffer than a dryer would make them, but not much. Nothing a good shaking and one or two wearings won't take care of.

Incidentally, does anyone have a recommended method for softening jeans that are stiff?

Dan

5. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior Member

Thanks for your responses guys. I just woke up this morning and found my jeans (they are a soft cotton twill pair by Zegna) to be almost completely dry after hanging them up last night to dry. They are a little stiff yes, but I will just take care of that with a little shaking out and an ironing job.

6. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior Member

J, thanks for your response. I will try that method next time, since that will decrease the amount of wrinkling that occurs when they are hung up to dry.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

When at my mother's in Europe, I simply iron them with a good deal of steam, and that does the trick.

8. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior Member

Just wear them. They'll soften up fairly quickly.