1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jeans+sportcoat: the new worst look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by black_umbrella, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Didnt mean it as an insult haha, but you can get Ideas there too.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Jeans are all right in their place--as [hard, physical] work wear and for ultra casual attire. However, I admit I don't like them and don't own any.

Trying to pair them with dressier attire--blue blazers or tweed sport coats--will always strike me as being akin to the proverbial "lipstick on a pig."

3. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

Not even chinos or cordoroys?

4. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

I'm not saying I do it well or right, but I do this on occasion.

2 things I quickly learned are no tie (the tie, to me, brings the upper body to a level of formality that is not congruent with the denim) and not baggy jeans.

It seems obvious to me that your shirt should be tucked in and under no circumstances should you be wearing something that could be described as a "tee shirt" underneath.

I think jeans and a jacket/sportcoat/blazer is especially tricky because you have to so closely watch the levels of formality involved, which are "naturally" at odds with each other. It is very easy for this look to turn into a trainwreck.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Today:

Pale blue candy stripe
    Cashmere gun club check
    Raw denim (2 and a half years wear)
    Snuff suede chukkas

Hi haters!

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Need pix so we can give you our pre-determined opinions!

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

The StyleForum IF/THEN algorithm where "X" = post count and "Y" = join date.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love solid white shirts with jeans and a khaki or navy jacket in Spring /Summer. I've always enjoyed the look of white oxford cloth against denim, especially well worn denim.

I wear a jacket with a tailored shirt and jeans all the time. I see guys who look great and guys who look like slobs. The fit of everything is essential to pulling it off. Great shoes really elevate the overall look. They also seem to get a lot more comments than when worn with a suit or dress pants.

2 people like this.
  9. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

You can do a knit tie, works quite well, just need to make sure you loosen the collar and no spreads. Shirt tucked in = always. T and jacket can work if highly textured and you're in shape. T should be very fitted and not long. Excuse the color of the photo, distorted heavily by iphone. This was a look I posted on the main forum and actually got some compliments on. Not for everyone but was pretty well liked on the street. Jacket = linen, t = highly textured. It's a gray blend against a blue jacket, which I paired with a slim pair if white denim and some brown loafers. Again the colors are distorted.
    [​IMG]

The high low concept is not tricky imo, you just need proper texture, fit and and understanding of how to go high and low with regard to the items you choose. Denim and a coat can be a staple look and if done right very sharp indeed.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This look is not bad in concept, but is almost always bad in execution. It is not nearly as bad as a look I have spotted with disturbing regularity around DC: The odd jacket and trousers that are sufficiently similar in color and material (usually a taupe worsted wool) to appear to be a suit whose jacket and pants have been dry cleaned at different frequencies. That is truly the worst "dressed up" look out there.

11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

what. in. the. fuck. is. this.

12. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

picard.jpg

13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Three suggestions for success wearing Jeans and a jacket

1) Skip more formal tailored jackets and go for navy, tweed and corduroy jackets, etc. When in doubt probably skip a suit jacket unless it is linen, cotton, tweed or corduroy. More casual touches like patch pockets and suede elbow patches help a lot. A grey flannel jacket with patch pockets could work well here.
    2) Wear great shoes with a touch of casual style. Leave the black and brown oxfords in the closet and go for suede or tan leather derbys. Rubber soles can work here as does textured grain leather and split toes.
    3) Skip wide leg heritage cut denim.