Jeans+sportcoat: the new worst look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by black_umbrella, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

The jacket is to loose then. Folks wear their clothes to big. Nothing new.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

2. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

The third picture above would seem to defy the slim jeans as required for the "staple look."

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

BB, good list

I'd add:

-No solid white shirts
    -No gold buttons

4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I dont think any of the combinations above look good, but thats just me. I dont like loose denim but that's a personal thing.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I think the problem has been stated already. It's not that it's always bad, it's just that many people do it badly.

+1 for NOBD being a prime example of how good it can look.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

7. black_umbrella

The made in america flag is a nice touch.

I'm still only partly convinced. While I like some of the outfits above, they still scream sartoralist to me. Which is a turnoff.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The pic of the Epaulet guy in the gunclub jacket is too much for me.

-Shouldn't be wearing a tie with jeans in the first place
    -"Sprezz" tie with the little end worn askew looks silly
    -Cropped jeans (he does this with his trousers in every picture on their site-it's awful)

9. black_umbrella

There always this to buck the dark jeans comments

[​IMG]

See this, for me, is great, but the tweed lends itself to something akin to outerwear. He's wearing a "jacket" not a "sportcoat"

10. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member

Last pic is only good because it's a young Robert Redford. High waisted bootcut jeans are not to be f'd with.

fwiw, I only wear beat up, looser fitting jeans with a SC. Some taper from the knee on down. Soft collared shirt with some texture. Matte woven or knit silk or wool tie with a patterned cotton / linen ps if I'm feeling sassy. Sneakers, suede shoes, or nubuck boots. Scotchgrain oxfords are the most formal shoe I'll wear with that rig.

I pretty much hate all fits that seem as though jeans were swapped in to an otherwise polished, conservative trouser 'n SC look. And, if it's not already obvious, if your jeans suck, your fit sucks. End rant

11. cgo

cgo Senior member

and never ever have the shirt untucked when wearing a jacket....sadly too common

12. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I am trying to make this work but I feel like my jackets are too long to wear with jeans. I need to get some jackets made a bit shorter. What would be the most universal pattern/fabrication that would be best? Herringbone? Windowpane? Plaid? Houndstooth?

I have a gunclub I use kind of hybrid but I need a denim specific jacket

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

+1
    as a personal rule, the jacket should fit right, and have plenty of texture. (eg:tweed) but sometimes , like informal business meetings, a solid colored 150's or similar can look great.
    it all depends on the jeans in question. if every member lined up in a row wearing a s/c-jeans combo. i can guarantee that everybody would hate 2 out of 3 of other peoples fits. if you wear jeans, a little Blue in the ensemble helps to tie it together. creating a uniform appearance, that said, denim needs no "Dressing up" , when worn by one who embraces the material, the right fit can be worn anywhere, anytime. here are some examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

looks like this will keep denim in vogue longer than grey flannels.
    also, "skinny" jeans are for ladies, straight or bootcut for men.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Matt (at Epaulet) always does this well...

The problem is trying to make an inherently less casual piece more casual, AND an inherently more casual piece less so. It can be done with teh right combo, more casual jacket and less casual jean to be "safe". To pull off what Matt did above, is all about confidence and attitude.

15. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

+1000
    people say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but a pic just can't always illustrate a man's confidence (eg:swag) and how well he can carry the fit in the real world. while i might have reservations about his fits in the pics, surely if we met in person i would see his personality reflected in his style. and such opinions wouldn't materialize. if you can carry yourself well in any company/situation, and your style is indicative of that.- not replicating a defined example of "the approved fit". is encouraged, so that you may gain a uniqueness and resonate with those whom you interact with on a daily basis. as a well put together individual with a personally developed sense of taste. such confidence transcends pigeonholing or knee-jerk disapproval.

with a myriad of combinations, the S/C-Blazer+Denim fit has the flexibility to allow everyman to express themselves. with limitless possibilities. the S/C+ denim fit isn't going anywhere.