• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans riding up in back

rulama

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding jeans that fit well and wanted to ask here for advice. I'm a fairly tall, skinny guy, and I prefer a regular/straight fit (not slim or skinny, not overly baggy, but enough to put a standard wallet in my front pocket). I've tried many pairs, and most fit well in the legs and waist, but they almost all feel too tight at the bottom of the seat, to the point where moving around causes them to start to ride *********** wedgie-style. I've tried Levis 505, 559, 514, Bonobos (straight), Banana Republic (straight), and all of them tend to do that. Levis 550s don't, but are too baggy in the thighs and legs.

How are straight jeans supposed to fit in the lower part of the seat? Is there something I can look for in a pair of jeans to avoid this, or is this something a tailor can sort out?

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Interesting. I have the opposite problem. I am by no means skinny and when I sit I always stretch the seat of my jeans in such a way that they start to sag. I try to mitigate this by a) wearing a belt, b) opting for 95%cotton and 5% elastane, c) wearing pleated pants with a tight waist and looser hips.

Anyway, I am sure you're not interested in my problems, so let's focus on you. I can think of a few solutions:
a) buy lighter washes of jeans as opposed to dark/raw denim (the former being more malleable),
b) wet the crotch seam or the entire crotch/hip area and stretch it by wearing the jeans (at home, preferably); some of my Tom Ford jeans actually come with a sticker advising doing this,
c) when buying jeans, focus on the problem area; buy a pair that is comfortable in the seat area and have the waist taken in by a tailor; do not do the opposite (i.e. buy tight and have the tailor take it out).
d) try and see if jeans with a little lycra or elastane (2-5%) help to resolve the issue; while they will not stretch as much, they will not press against you so stubbornly.

As for how jeans are supposed to fit - they should be comfy, should not sag or press against anything.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding jeans that fit well and wanted to ask here for advice. I'm a fairly tall, skinny guy, and I prefer a regular/straight fit (not slim or skinny, not overly baggy, but enough to put a standard wallet in my front pocket). I've tried many pairs, and most fit well in the legs and waist, but they almost all feel too tight at the bottom of the seat, to the point where moving around causes them to start to ride *********** wedgie-style. I've tried Levis 505, 559, 514, Bonobos (straight), Banana Republic (straight), and all of them tend to do that. Levis 550s don't, but are too baggy in the thighs and legs.

How are straight jeans supposed to fit in the lower part of the seat? Is there something I can look for in a pair of jeans to avoid this, or is this something a tailor can sort out?
You're probably dealing with a rise issue. Rise is the measurement from top of waistband down to the crotch seam. Sounds like you need a longer rise. Tall guys sometimes need a longer rise. I'd suggest measuring the front rise and back rise of your best fitting jean (in the crotch area) - and compare it to your worst fitting jean. If you're best fitting jean has a longer rise than the worst fitting, then rise is probably your problem. Start looking at brands size charts for rise measurements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads