Jeans in sf

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by d.h., Jun 16, 2004.

1. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

I'm going on a jeans-shopping "road trip" soon. The mission: find a cool pair of jeans I've never had before.

Up to now, I've mostly had Hillfigers and Levis, but I want to try Sevens, PDCs, Energies, etc.

Is there a place in/near San Francisco/Bay Area that's sort of like a jeans "wharehouse," where I can try on many different (designer) brands without having to go hunting in so many stores?

If no, at least tell me where the best places are to find particular brands. In addition to jeans mentioned above, I'd like to check out stuff like Earl, and Helmut Lang (I already know about the Diesel store).

Thanks

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Levis will do a MTM for you at their Union Square store. I think they run like $80 for regular Levis, and I'm guessing like $150 for the premium Levis. If I rember correctly, you choose a half dozen or so details and then they mail you the jeans.

3. GBGB

GBGB Member

Sad to say that I think the Levi made to measure service has been discontinued for the time being. They sent a letter indicating that it might be reinstated at some future point in time.

4. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

I knew it was too good to be true. Was gonna go there tomorrow. Oh well....

Last time I was at Levi they had 501s in "First Year" wash, which I would have snapped up were they not sold out in "normal" sizes. The Premiums looked OK as well, but I'd rather pay just a little more and get something "better."

Keep 'em coming, guys.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Check out the downtown Nordstrom- they have a number of varieties. There used to be a place called 5 Pocket in the Valley Fair Mall in San Jose, but I think they closed with all the other L'Uomo stores. Except the one on Fillmore, which they're running the clearance through. Too bad- good stores.
    I think there's another place in the Haight, and American Rag is on Van Ness near Stockton. You could also try MAC- Modern Appealing Clothing in Hayes Valley.

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, is there anybody offering MTM jeans, anywhere? Sounds like a cool idea...

7. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Gieves and Hawks do MTM jeans.

Dior Homme are the best though, bar none.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I haven't been in SF for about two years now, so my Levis info was obviously obsolete. I remember I friend getting a MTM pair that she really loved there about four years ago. I'm not sure why they'd discontinue it -- it should have been really popular had they advertised it well, especially now that Levis is a pretty hip brand again.