• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans in my personal rotation

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get this question a lot, so, here you go. In order of wearing frequency. All are in the same size (30) except where noted.

I wear the first few nearly exclusively:

1a) Kicking Mule Workshop 1980 (Japanese, new lot). I like the slightly lighter, slightly irregular color of the denim, and the cut is tremendous - slim, but not too skinny, and I like the low placement of the back pockets, which give them a more casual feel. The workmanship is of a very high quality as well. Only complaint is the abuse of selvedge - selvedge on both sides of the fly, exposed at the ticket pocket. And the use of 2 different selvedge lines (blue and red) on the outseam is really too much... But the positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin

Feel: "Casual urban cowboy". Wear them with a tan or light brown belt to bring out the brown tones in the indigo and to complement the tan and brown stitching.

1b) APC New Standards - the Civic of good denim - inexpensive (check out the Denim Bar price for SF), lightweight but more durable than most heavyweights, and consistent, year after year. The denim is a little coarse, and the color a little *too* red, but I personally love these as a true bang around jean. And cred? APC's were essentially the first modern cut jeans made of Japanese selvedge. Size 29

Feel - Euro guy. I wear my Black-Blue Engineered Garments s Styleforum belt with these.

1c) 5EP LDB rigid - a little more antifit than my other jeans (and truth be told, I am going to a size 29 for my next pair). The workmanship, trims (solid brass burrs), details (wrangler coin pocket (actually, not Wrangler, but I forget where Godmother actually got the inspiration from), red thread on blond leather black patch), ad most importantly, amazing, amazing denim, are what put these at the top of my denim rotation quality wise. I would argue that the denim is as complicated and interesting as the 45RPM Suminandos, easily (though quite different). Easily better than pretty much any jean in the under $300 category, and well above many jeans costing above that.

Feel: Modern cowboy - I invariably wear wear mine with a thick brown belt (light or darl)

1d) Nudie Straight Sven Dry Selvedge - The cut is tremendous for me. The lower rise and straight leg are extremely comfortable. There are so many posts on this jean that I am not going to bother mentioning anything more, but let's just say that I'm wearing mine right now. The only downsides is the fact that bright orange stitching (which I actually sort of like) makes the jeans not match everything that well.\t\t\t\t

Feel: Slacker rocker dude (I wear mine with either a Baltazar Iron Cross belt or a reddish brown handmade deal)

2) Studio D'Artisan D1002 - The only reason I don't wear these more often is because they really need about 2" hemmed off to look really good. As is, they just look really good. I think that I'll ask Gordon of Blue in Green (where they were purchased) to hem them when I'm in NYC for the fitting. Washed once, but te hem shrank from 37" to, 35.5", which is still about 2" too long. The denim is amazing - very soft and comfortable - and the black-blue wrap with the grey weft makes a really spectacular color. I really like the cool yellow stitching as well. The cut is nice and straight through the hips (which I need - I don't wear repros that well), and the slim thigh and subtle bootcut are very flattering. The only problem is that the rise is slightly too high (do Japanese dudes have really long torsos or something?) That throws the design off - the fly is too long for how slim the jean is, and the fly buttons too far apart for the softness of the denim. put a deeper contour into the waistband, decrease the length of the fly, and you'd be off to the races.

Feel: "Chic cowboy". Wear with a red tint, light brown belt for contrast or a blue/black belt to complement.

3) John Bull Sewing Chops SC007 - Great fit for a slim guy - really low slung, slim through the hips with a true straight leg below the knee. Interesting, "hairy" denim due probably to the hemp content. The stitching is a single orange yellow color, and the details are simple. My only reservation: color is nearly electric blue. I just don't have enough stuff to match them with.

Feel - cowboy (I will wear these a fair bit come summer.) Wear with Light or dark brown belt - must be thick!
\t
4) SPURR Classic Raw - Really distinctive jeans - super dark (makes all the other jeans I own look light by comparison) nearly purplish indigo. Thick yellow rope thread used throughout. A true pegleg jean (straight down from hips). The low rise actually fits me very well. These jeans command a high retail ($325), and are arguably worth it. The details (lined back pockets, all lining in fine cotton herringbone, signature yellow selvedge denim, detail at the fly, coin pocket, back belt look, top grain leather patch, all custom, brass rivets) are amazing. The only problem is, as with a distressed teal leather Dries van Noten peatcoat, is that there are a limited number of things you can wear it with. These jeans call for warm colors with lots of red throughout. If you deviate by just a shade, you mess it up. I have about 2 outfits that will work really well with these jeans.

Feel: Bluegrass. Wear with plaid shirt.

Double D

Reaction score
Nice topic. I find it interesting that you pick belts to match your jeans... generally I switch mine up depending on what shoes I wear. Then again, I only rotate a couple of pairs of jeans with a lot of different kicks.

bigskydream

Reaction score
Great post LA Guy...thanks.

Which Kicking Mule are you referring to...the 1980? Also, are all the 1980 Drys the "Japanese new lot", or do you have to look around for a special version of the Dry?

mongo615

Reaction score
I recall you mentioning SPURR before, but I have yet to find an e-retailer--Can you help me out????
worship.gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love when Fok posts threads like this.
inlove.gif

I like Ennis's shirt too.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
This thread needs a "cowboy" tag. I need some of these jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigskydream
Great post LA Guy...thanks.

Which Kicking Mule are you referring to...the 1980? Also, are all the 1980 Drys the "Japanese new lot", or do you have to look around for a special version of the Dry?

Yeah, the 1980. I added the info. I specified the new lot because there are a number of the Chinese made ones out there (say, on Bluebee) which are nice, but not nearly as nice.

Originally Posted by mongo615
I recall you mentioning SPURR before, but I have yet to find an e-retailer--Can you help me out????
worship.gif

I don't think that there is a e-tailer any longer (Oak stopped carrying the line.) I know that Bergdorfs and Louis both has them though. Jeffrey NYC as well, I believe.

Originally Posted by whodini
I can't help but notice most of your jeans have a 'cowboy' feel. Was that intentional?

Well, sort of. For me, jeans have always been more "western" and less "workwear" (although they are related, and I love workwear stuff as well.) That's just me. I grew up thinking that Clint Eastwood in the Sergio Leone movies was the coolest dude ever. And also, I just can't quit you, Whodini.

Originally Posted by Saucemaster
This thread needs a "cowboy" tag.
Done.

mmm

Reaction score
Whats your height and weight LA, if you dont mind me asking?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you go for all these 'cowboy' looks do you wear your jeans high on your waist?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I read this thread, for some reason I assumed that SDA only did shorter inseams.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
I second the pics request.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Glad I read this thread, for some reason I assumed that SDA only did shorter inseams.

It really depends on the model. The D1002 has a ridiculously long inseam. Gordon told me that they would shrink down 3", but I guess that that would only happen with a hot wash followed by a hot dry, in which case I would be stuck with miniature jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads