• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jeans in a 40x30 Size?

Gordon09

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sorry to make an account just to ask this question, and I realize that it's probably quite selfish, but I'm absolutely miserable and I have nobody who can help me with this problem. I literally own one pair of jeans and I wear them every day - not because I don't have money, but because I can't find jeans in the right cut in my size that look good! I realize that my weight is a problem, (I believe I weigh 240-250lb) but I need to be able to leave my house with some degree of confidence before anything gets done about that.

The jeans that I currently wear are an unknown cut of Wranglers in an unknown size (I assume they're a 40x30). I've tried Levi's 514s and they fit fantastically and look so much better than the Wranglers, but there's a caveat - they flare out at the bottom to such a ridiculous degree that it looks like I'm wearing bellbottoms! I've actually tried purchasing bigger shoes to accommodate this, but they, unfortunately, have not fixed the issue. I'm looking to buy my jeans online on Amazon or something, so can anybody help me? Thank you so much in advance!

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could just go to a tailor and get your jeans tapered. Alternatively, try Levi's 513 and 508. 508 is very roomy in the thigh and tapers fairly hard. 513s are just like 514s but with a slimmer lower leg. Good luck.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
511'S despite being tagged skinny/slim aren't ridiculously slim in the thigh and might work.

Snoopy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

they flare out at the bottom to such a ridiculous degree that it looks like I'm wearing bellbottoms!

The 514's have no taper. They are straight leg (17" opening) with slim seat/thigh. I have skinny legs and 514 look way too baggy on me with bell bottoms also.

Levi's 513 are much more taper than 514 and resemble more a slim fit.

Like ManofKent advised I would give 511 a shot since 511 is not really a skinny jean (it's a slim fit jean hence levi's changed the style name recently).

Vickt

Reaction score
Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If something "fits fantastically" except for the flaring bottoms, just get the legs tapered and you are guaranteed perfection, versus experimenting with entirely different cuts. (If you have the money and don't know a tailor, then experiment away.)

Good luck with your weight loss.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 30 15.3%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 15.8%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 66 33.7%