• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans for middle-aged men

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Okay, the "10 Best" thread is about a thousand responses long, so I apologize in advance for not scouring it re: this issue...

What would be some good jean recommendations for a medium-sized, 35-45 y.o. guy? I don't want to look old, and I don't want to look like I'm trying to hard to look younger than I am.

If the jeans would go with tan chelsea boots, well then all the better.

My daughter thanks you for your assistance.
Checks

YMark

Reaction score
I'm 45 and have a pair of Sevens, AG, and Earnest Sewn. I'm also pretty fit and work out 4 times a week. Maybe I'm kidding myself, who knows, but I don't think trying to look younger is such a bad thing if you can pull it off.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang Bootcuts (really a straightleg) and Rag & Bone "Trouser cut" jeans will get you indie props, as well as looking non-tragic to both your peers and your daughter.

esvoboda

Reaction score
It depends on how you've kept yourself up and whether your genetics have been kind to you. If you think about guys like Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise who are 40-ish, they can wear most anything that someone in their early 20's could and look great. But if you have the problems with obesity and lack of muscle tone that come with age if you don't stay on top of it, then you've got to be more careful. Frankly, I think a lot of these people shouldn't be wearing jeans at all. They don't have the body for it.

If you're fit, I don't see a problem. I'd just avoid some of the most extreme cuts and finishes.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one thing that i think is important when it comes to older men wearing 'hip' designer jeans is the rest of the outfit. make sure you incorporate the jeans into your wardrobe appropriately, but don't wear 'old man' clothes with 'young man' jeans. mix and match effectively and any older gentleman can pull off sevens or AG's.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, the "10 Best" thread is about a thousand responses long, so I apologize in advance for not scouring it re: this issue...

What would be some good jean recommendations for a medium-sized, 35-45 y.o. guy?   I don't want to look old, and I don't want to look like I'm trying to hard to look younger than I am.

If the jeans would go with tan chelsea boots, well then all the better.

My daughter thanks you for your assistance.
Checks
I would suggest the Levis LVC 501XX, maybe the 1947/66. Many from Denime, Lee's Vintage 101.

esvoboda

Reaction score
one thing that i think is important when it comes to older men wearing 'hip' designer jeans is the rest of the outfit. make sure you incorporate the jeans into your wardrobe appropriately, but don't wear 'old man' clothes with 'young man' jeans. mix and match effectively and any older gentleman can pull off sevens or AG's.
I have this image of an old guy wearing a baggy Brooks buttondown, tucked, with a shiney dress belt and tasselled loafers. His gut is hanging over a pair of low-rise bootcut True Religions, well-whiskered.

ringring

Reaction score
Helmut Lang Bootcuts (really a straightleg) and Rag & Bone "Trouser cut" jeans will get you indie props, as well as looking non-tragic to both your peers and your daughter.
I'll second what LAG says. Keep it simple. Simple washes (a one-wash rinse is fine), simple cuts. And the biggest must-do is to wear the jeans on your hips and not up by your navel
wink.gif
PS - If you must go with Helmut Lang, go with the dark jeans. The stonewashed ones this season are horrid.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, 35 is middle-aged?

RNM, 36 and still being carded for alcohol purchases. (especially when wearing Earnest Sewn Hutches)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
didnt folks get the memo that the "30s" are the new "20s"?

good thing ***** don't crink

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Exactly - 40 is the new 30.

Bradford <- 37 soon to be 38.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is good news for me.

/andrew - just turned 36

Mr Checks

Reaction score
I am glad to hear that I'm not middle-aged, which is now 50, I guess.

I promise to try these suggestions; my daughter promises to cringe at all of them...

benchan

Reaction score
Helmut Lang dark jeans are alright, but the denim is nothing to write home about. Yes, the wash model is atrocious this season.

I suggest you take a look at Hugo boss Black Label Jeans also, though some members probably will cringe at my suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads