• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jeans Fitting Help Needed

JRinDC

Reaction score
OK -- I'm finally going to break down and toss my Gap and Lucky jeans and purchase a pair of serious, designer jeans. I went to the Denim Bar (a local jean boutique) and tried a bunch of styles -- Sevens, Citizens for Humanity, Loomstate, and a bunch of others.

Here's the thing. I'm, 5'10, about 170 lbs, and usually wear a size 34, but virtually all of these jeans in that size were too big in the waist and too small in the hips or too tight in the crotch. I have what my tailor euphemistically refers to as a "high seat." If I go down to a 33 I get closer to my waist, but they're even smaller in the butt and crotch.

Given that, what pair would be best? I'm looking for a jean you can dress up or down. liked the Loomstate Organics a lot. They had the best fit in the waist and butt but were looser in the leg. The Citizens were terrific in the leg, but not quite perfect in the waist/butt ratio. The Sevens and others did not feel comfortable at all.

Any thoughts? There are so many companies now, it's hard to know what to look for. Thanks in advance.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have similar issues because I have a thin waist (about 33 in around) but very large, solid legs. A lot of designer stuff is too tight in the leg when I get small enough in the waist. Rag and Bone would be perfect except only even sizes. I'd also try Earnest Sewn. The fits are sort of similar to Citizens, but a little slimmer and better quality. Nudie's Regular Ralf could also work.

JRinDC

Reaction score
I think I tried on a pair of Earnest Sewns. They look great, but geez, for $230 they better at least as well as my Gaps. They didn't. I'll given them another shot, though. Thanks for the tips.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
They now sell PDCs at Macy's for half the pricepoint, in terms of fits you may also want to check those out as well.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRinDC
I think I tried on a pair of Earnest Sewns. They look great, but geez, for $230 they better at least as well as my Gaps. They didn't. I'll given them another shot, though. Thanks for the tips.
Which style did you try? I'd try the Hemingway (relaxed bootcut) or the Fulton (straight leg). The Hutch (which seems to be the most popular) would be too low and tight probably for you. The others have higher rises, and the waists seem to run a bit smaller. Some of these may also be available at Revolveclothing.com or activeendeavors.com, both of which have a styleforum discount.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRinDC
OK -- I'm finally going to break down and toss my Gap and Lucky jeans and purchase a pair of serious, designer jeans. I went to the Denim Bar (a local jean boutique) and tried a bunch of styles -- Sevens, Citizens for Humanity, Loomstate, and a bunch of others.

Here's the thing. I'm, 5'10, about 170 lbs, and usually wear a size 34, but virtually all of these jeans in that size were too big in the waist and too small in the hips or too tight in the crotch. I have what my tailor euphemistically refers to as a "high seat." If I go down to a 33 I get closer to my waist, but they're even smaller in the butt and crotch.

Given that, what pair would be best? I'm looking for a jean you can dress up or down. liked the Loomstate Organics a lot. They had the best fit in the waist and butt but were looser in the leg. The Citizens were terrific in the leg, but not quite perfect in the waist/butt ratio. The Sevens and others did not feel comfortable at all.

Any thoughts? There are so many companies now, it's hard to know what to look for. Thanks in advance.

always pick a jean or trouser size that fits in the seat, then have your tailor take in the waist.

JRinDC

Reaction score
So I tried on a pair of Ben Shermans, and dropped the size for a timmer fit. They seemed pretty good. But do they compare with the more expensive jeans? Any thoughts.

smw356

Reaction score
try some apc rescues or maybe a LVC 55' or something, you need a higher rise, most of the stuff you listed is relatively low-rise. A reproish cut will have a higher rise.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 235 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.7%
  • 31 - 40