• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans fit

d.h.

Reaction score
How do you know when jeans are the right waist size?

Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but let me explain. I've always worn my pants on the low side, partly due to fashion and partly because I was overweight. Now, not only do I feel too old to wear my pants that way, but I've also recently lost about 40 pounds.

I'm not used to wearing normal sizes, and most pants I try on feel too tight even though people around me say they are still too big.

I've heard some people say that if you can fit two fingers in the waist then it's the right size, but this can be interpreted in a couple of ways, so I don't know.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they mean two fingers as in you put them in "Al Bundy" style -- you know what I mean?

I think that the best way to know whether they are the right size is when you sit down. If you can sit down and they feel comfortable, then you're okay. Then, stand up and make sure they aren't sagging or anything. Just as important as the waist is how they fit in the hips and the butt.

quill

Reaction score
Right.

Essentially, you've got five areas to check when it comes to fit: the waist itself, the seat, the front rise (the distance from your crotch up to your front button), the rear rise (distance from crotch up to center back belt loop), and the upper thigh area.

You can have a great waist fit, but the front rise can be too long, making you look like an old geezer with high-waist pants, or hanging too low below your crotch; the rear rise can be too short, causing pulling on your backside that is annoying. The upper thigh is important, because from there down, fits are "styled" into loose fit, straight fits that don't taper, slim fits that follow the skin, etc. But they have to start out right on the upper thigh for you.

Look at the jeans from the top down into the crotch. One of the reasons people like Levis 501 so much is that the circumference is oval in shape, somewhat like the human body. Other companies are round, which very few people are shaped like. So determine your shape as best you can, too.

If there's a lot of odd pulling that doesn't feel right, then the jeans were probably cut off-grain, and nothing can correct bad cutting.

If you find a pair that's close to perfect, then they'll probably fit well after a few wearings, because twill weave denim (not plain weave) will actually mold itself to your particular shape over time.

Anyway, those are some general guidelines. Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads