• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans dilemma: nothing in my size

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is my problem: I do not like slim jeans (I do not mean slim as in Bee Gee tight). I like a looser jean. Currently my most used jean is a pair of GAP "Worker" jeans:
ga174468-00b.jpg
They are cut wide and straight to ankle with a 20" bottom opening, and are supposed to sit relatively low on the waist. Unfortunately I am a 28" and when I purchased the jeans, they sat lower than the waist, sitting closer to the lower hips and feeling more like a 29" or 30" than a 28". Even after 3 machine washes and 3 dryer sessions in the mid-heat setting the jean was still too big at the waist, thus I had to take it to my tailor to alter the waist. Even though the alteration has made the jean fit, I am left with two problems: 1) The "V" stitching created above the pockets in the rear are no longer ends at a point, because when altered, the folded over material create a disproportionate line, which even though only about 1/8" off is still in my eyes not visually pleasing (I could just be OCD here). 2) The extra cost of getting the jeans altered. The only other pair of jeans I own that comes really close to what I am looking for are the GAP "Wide Leg" jeans, which sat around the natural waist and were significantly loose enough for my tastes. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. Any suggestions? The jeans don't need to be GAP btw, it just I've had luck with their jeans in the past. Jon.

jmswentworth

Reaction score
Try APC or Reiss (they are cut straight all the way down in their deep indigo unwashed styles)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Levi's 529 (I think). Low-rise straight.

Sevcom

Reaction score
In addition to the others, there are also the PDC Icon and the Seven Relaxed (I bought a size 28 of the latter for my brother for Christmas).

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think a lot of us just wear belts to compensate for waists which may be cut slightly too loose. It's gonna be rough finding jeans in size 28 that are actually 28" across the waist. For example, APC English size 28 would measure around 30"

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's 529 (I think). Low-rise straight.
i think Levi's 'Type 1' is similar.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 529s, and I think they are to baggy.

The tag does say "Relaxed fit" though

K

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I have a pair of 529s, and I think they are to baggy.  
Yup, which is exactly what he asked for.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I am against altering the waist of jeans. I dunno.

My Levis Type 1's (I have the "Iconic Straight Leg") are not true in the waist. I wear a pretty true 36 in dress pants (RL, etc.), and my Type 1s are a 34 and not at all tight. I wear a pair of seven "relaxed" in 34 as well, but they are more fitted.

That said, I think the Type 1 will have more of the fit ImageWIS is describing - The relaxed are pretty low rise with a pronounced boot cut.

Brian SD

Reaction score
For some reason I am against altering the waist of jeans. I dunno.

My Levis Type 1's (I have the "Iconic Straight Leg") are not true in the waist. I wear a pretty true 36 in dress pants (RL, etc.), and my Type 1s are a 34 and not at all tight. I wear a pair of seven "relaxed" in 34 as well, but they are more fitted.

That said, I think the Type 1 will have more of the fit ImageWIS is describing - The relaxed are pretty low rise with a pronounced boot cut.
I am pretty sure that Jon is looking for a higher-waisted full-cut straight leg, no? He was saying that he doesn't like how his jeans fell to his hips.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Poor communication on my part in there - when I say the "relaxed" I mean the sevens. The Type 1s are probably a better fit, though neither are perfect, and (I guess my point was) neither have accurate waist measurements.

I think Brian articulated what Jon was saying pretty clearly. Maybe he'd have better luck with European makers. Diesel makes a lot of normal waisted, straight leg jeans, no? Or even the more conservative, medium quality American brands - like Blue Agave or Faconnable (designed in France, ******).

All the brands favored by the hipster contingent, in my opinion, will probably be too low/styled to meet Jon's criteria.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Agreed - Diesel is probably a good way to go, and if shopping at a more conservative carrier, they will probably have the non-vintage washes.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(shoreman1782 @ April 05 2005,09:03) For some reason I am against altering the waist of jeans. I dunno. My Levis Type 1's (I have the "Iconic Straight Leg") are not true in the waist. I wear a pretty true 36 in dress pants (RL, etc.), and my Type 1s are a 34 and not at all tight. I wear a pair of seven "relaxed" in 34 as well, but they are more fitted. That said, I think the Type 1 will have more of the fit ImageWIS is describing - The relaxed are pretty low rise with a pronounced boot cut.
I am pretty sure that Jon is looking for a higher-waisted full-cut straight leg, no? He was saying that he doesn't like how his jeans fell to his hips.
have levi's 569's been looked at? they are relaxed wide/straight leg, with a regular rise. (higher than my type 1's.) /andrew

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads