• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans colour rubbing into the shoes

StylingUK

Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent jean colours from rubbing into your shoes? My white sneakers have blue marks from my blue jeans that I always wear. And I find it disheartening that my new dark brown desert boots that have not even been wore outside also have blue colours on it after I tried on my new jeans for 15min. argh!

scrambledeggs

Reaction score
I would assume that the problem is related to the denim being an organic product that doesn't use resin to hold the colour, or perhaps the jeans weren't washed properly during the manufacture process. Either way, I would take them back dude, it just shouldn't happen. Yes, taping them may be an alternative if you really love the style.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
resin? as far as I know most all jeans that haven't been prewashed to death will bleed the **** all over your shoes. Just part of the reality of wearing denim, learn to love it or at least live with it.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a lot of my lighter color shoes have blue denim stains on them i'm used to it now.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I don't roll my jeans so I guess taping would be one of the options that I could consider. Another option probably is to wear dark colour shoes only. But I see many others spot jeans with sand or light colour boots, are their jeans high quality that don't bleed on their shoes or do they just don't mind?

I am planning to buy a pair of ankle boots that could be worn with suit/khakis/jeans and I would be heartbroken if my jean colour bleed onto a pair of $200-300 ankle boots.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think it gives the shoes character.

Pic of the shoes I'm wearing now:
shobf5cn3.jpg

You might try cuffing your jeans. You could also soak your jeans when you get them, and wear them with other shoes for a week or two. The majority of indigo rubs off when the jeans are new, and saturated in dye. After that it still may rub off a bit, but not nearly as much as new, unwashed denim would.

The material also matters. A leather plain toe chelsea boot will collect much less indigo than say a suede chukka or canvas sneaker would.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs
I would assume that the problem is related to the denim being an organic product that doesn't use resin to hold the colour, or perhaps the jeans weren't washed properly during the manufacture process. Either way, I would take them back dude, it just shouldn't happen. Yes, taping them may be an alternative if you really love the style.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. Raw or unwashed denim can (and usually will) bleed onto your shoes.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs

You must be new here. Welcome to SF.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By tape you mean just take a piece of tape and wrap it along the edges?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's what they mean, but I'm curious too. What kind of tape are we talking? Duct Tape?

Brutus

Reaction score
Mine bled a little when they were new but not tons...I'm curious, what jeans are you wearing and what does your car seat look like?

8bpc

Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of someone wearing jeans with the bottom taped. Isn't this noticeably odd?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They tape the inside, so it should really see underneath much. You can use clear packing tape to further help make it less noticable unless upon close inspection. Eventually the bottom of the jeans will start losing all the indigo saturated in them and just stabilize and start losing it's ability to stain your shoes. Then you're golden.

I just about never roll (cuff w/e) my jeans, and rarely tape inside. I either accept that a bit of indigo will get on my leather shoes. OR if I'm wearing something like a really light suede color with new jeans, I'll resort to tape. Since I have no other choice, other than to not wear them that day.

8bpc

Reaction score
Interesting, would someone post closeups of tapes jeans?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads