• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans are too big. Need advice.

impass101

Reaction score
I have some Express and Ralph Lauren jeans that are size 32 and 33 that I need shrunk down to a size 30 waist. Do you have any idea how this can be done without breaking the bank going to a good tailor? What are the prices for a waist adjustment with a tailor anyhow?

sam

Reaction score
Buy new jeans. Seriously. Your jeans will go pear-shaped pretty easily.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, how would a tailor go about taking the waist in? Are there any side effects? I didn't realize this was possible.

In this hypothetical situation, the jeans would fit fine except in the waist, and would be taken in an inch.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
Since we're on the subject, how would a tailor go about taking the waist in? Are there any side effects? I didn't realize this was possible.

In this hypothetical situation, the jeans would fit fine except in the waist, and would be taken in an inch.

I've never seen jeans taken in the waist that didn't severely throw off the fit of the jeans.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score

If you fixed all your jeans, nobody would have a chance to buy your rejects!
tounge.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming it's even possible, I cannot imagine how any pair of jeans from Express could be worth the cost and difficulty.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
If you fixed all your jeans, nobody would have a chance to buy your rejects!
tounge.gif

Yeah, you're right. Check out my thread in Buying and Selling - Jomon in size 30, $195 shipped obo.

wow.gif
tounge.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. Check out my thread in Buying and Selling - Jomon in size 30, $195 shipped obo.

wow.gif
tounge.gif

DUDE. Don't do that to me. Just... don't. That's not right.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Taking in" a pair of jeans is possible. I took a couple of pairs of levi 501's to a tailor to have the waist taken in and it wasn't worth it. He wanted to charge me $20 per pair (rediculous price imo) when I could just get a different kind of jean that would fit better (even if it was more expensive).

It seems to require a lot of work. The waistband needs to be removed from the jean(I think), shortened, then fabric needs to be removed from the jeans themselves to accomodate the shortened waistband. Plus, "ripping" the waistband from the jeans and sewing it back on isn't the easiest thing due to denim being a pretty thick, coarse fabric.

It's easier to sell poor fitting jeans on ebay and buy a better or different pair of jeans (imo).

stach

Reaction score
Put the old jeans in the closet. The old jeans will shrink in the closet lol.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
DUDE. Don't do that to me. Just... don't. That's not right.

Haha, yeah, me too. I was like, "No way. He has got to be joking."

Then I thought, "I dunno... I slept on those Eternals...."

Then, "No, definitely joking. I mean, obviously. C'mon."

And then I clicked on the Buying/Selling forum.

Reaction score
I must be an idiot------had to search Ahaz's previous posts AND clicked on Buying and Selling------don't trick me like that!!!

Ahaz

Reaction score
devil.gif

You guys are lucky, I was thinking about going with a more believable number, like $3xx.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummm...I'm going to contradict previous posters here and say that you can have your jeans taken in at the waist and the world will not end because of it. I had a pair of Earnest Sewn Hutchs taken from a 34 to an approx 32-33" waist and had the seat taken in. I went to a mall alterations place where I have most of my clothing adjusted. They are industrioius and knowledgable Eastern European women and did the whole thing for under $20 IIRC. They matched the threads and seaming perfectly and the jeans fit infinitely better. So my advice is find someone who is knowledgable, and if you're lucky cheap, and go for it. I wouldn't recommend taking the jeans in more than 2" though.

A.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads