• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans and a sport coat

Will Moose

Reaction score
How many of you guys wear this combo often? I don't, mainly because I don't own a decent sport coat. Im 90% of the time dressed casualy. I think this would be a little nicer for some occasions like a dinner at a not so fancy resturant, i.e. Applebees or the like. Any recomendations for such a jacket?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Applebees near where I live, but the website tells me it's pretty casual, so I vote for a fairly casual color/fabric.

Camelhair/ camel-colored wool would go well with jeans, or maybe chestnut brown herringbone or corduroy. What about a navy blazer? Too fancy?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The navy-and-jeans you have there is nice.
Would black be inappropriate? Or maybe like a charcoal with pinstripes?
Black is probably too... severe?... for a family kind of restaurant. And I've never liked the pairing of a striped jacket with non-striped trousers, but maybe that's just me. Windowpane?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys wear this combo often? I don't, mainly because I don't own a decent sport coat. Im 90% of the time dressed casualy. I think this would be a little nicer for some occasions like a dinner at a not so fancy resturant, i.e. Applebees or the like. Any recomendations for such a jacket?
What are you talking about Applebee's isn't fancy? They have a salad bar for christsakes.. lol.

Seriously, I haven't even been to one, just drove by; I can't stand those chain restaurants. I loathe Outback.

Try picking up a 100% cotton blazer with a pinstripe for a great casual look with jeans. It's casual enough for an everyday look.

Will Moose

Reaction score
I didn't say fancy, I said not so fancy as in not fancy at all. Casual, better than fastfood style dining. Applebees has a salad bar? Thats news. Oh well.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't say fancy, I said not so fancy as in not fancy at all. Casual, better than fastfood style dining. Applebees has a salad bar? Thats news. Oh well.
I was just joking, I've never even been to Applebees. I don't know if it has a salad bar, but don't all of those type of restaurants have one?

Will Moose

Reaction score
I guess most of them do, but as far as I know applebees dosent. Nothing wrong with a good buffett(sp?) every once in awhile right? Heck even my country club has a lunch buffett once a week or so.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing beats a good Indian food buffet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Applebees is gross. But they don't have a salad bar. Actually the food is okay, but it's difficult to eat when you are constantly assaulted by the display of tacky Americana on the walls. Think of the restaurant called "Tchotchke's" (I think) in Office Space, and you've basically got it.

However, they do serve beer, sometimes reasonably good beer, for cheap in monstrous glasses.

thatericguy

Reaction score
yeah ive been looking for a nice camel or navy cotton blazer to wear with jeans.

any recs?

gqelements

Reaction score
I often wear a gray 3-button pinstripe jacket with jeans and a button-down. At 22, it's a good look that gets compliments form co-workers of all age brackets.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a dark blue ¼ lined linen RLPL jacket (Chest Barrie) that I sometimes wear with light blue, faded jeans, even though it is blue on a different color of blue the style works.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads