• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean/Shoe combo...does this work ok?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm really new to all this stuff and I'm also a big guy and working on loosing weight. But, that doesn't mean I want to look crappy in the meantime. So, how do these jeans and shoes look? Since I'm working on loosing weight I'm not going to go out and buy some expensive jeans now that hopefully won't fit me at all in a few months. These are some selvage denim from the Gap that I picked up for about $9 about 6 months back, the shoes are some AE's that I got off STP for about $100. The jeans seem to look darker in real life then in this pic though. Thoughts? Is the length ok with that cuff? They seem to have fair bit of break still and I've just been wearing them cuffed since I bought them (since they were a bit longer back then).

dsc1869vp4.jpg

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
Angle on the picture's weird, but it looks like the thighs are too big on the jeans...the shoes look proportional to the cuff, that's good...good luck on taking off the weight

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shoes look a little clunky to me. I think split toes need to be pretty sleek. The color and proportionality to the cuff are ok though.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that if you're going to do dress shoes with jeans (which is difficult to pull off), you should lose the cuffs. Just get them hemmed with a bit of a break. I agree with drizzt about the shoes, but Allen Edmonds have never really appealed to me.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Stockbridge actually.

Thanks for the advice and input. Maybe these jeans would look better with my beat-to-hell black Doc boots that I've had for about 12 years?

Hugo

Reaction score
Personally I think that you shoudn't wear "loose" jeans with dress shoes. It looks odd in my eyes. Tighter jeans (not skinny, just tighter) would be better.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Shoes look a little clunky to me. I think split toes need to be pretty sleek. The color and proportionality to the cuff are ok though.

but with jeans I think the clunkiness of the AEs works in its favor...I think it looks good from knee down, as said.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
but with jeans I think the clunkiness of the AEs works in its favor...I think it looks good from knee down, as said.
Eh, I don't really agree. I think it looks like stuffy... like something a 55 y/o (or Connemara) would wear on casual Friday, but if that's what you're going for then... more power to you. It's not the chunkiness of the shoes I dislike but the fact that they are both chunky and split toe. I think heftier shoes are good with jeans, as you also don't want them to look overly dainty, but split toes and chunkiness are incongruous.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Agreed, I think it works well. The pant cut is suited to the size/shape of the shoe and color.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics with my beat up Docs. Better?
dsc1874gd4.jpg
dsc1871vh1.jpg

skunkworks

Reaction score
E's look good, Docs not so much. I think boots like Docs would better with jeans that have a smaller hem; those jeans just look like they're swallowing them.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it looks better but it's still not particularly inspired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics