• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean Repair

Count Basie

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and I must say this is a very resourceful site. Plus, everyone seems so unpretentious, unlike other fashion forums.Anyway, my problem is that there has been some wear on the back pockets to my jeans. Theres a noticable hole and Im afraid its just going to get bigger. Is there any way of fixing this problem? Also, anyone know where I can fix it in NYC? Thanks a lot.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any tailor can patch that up, and usually they do a good job of hiding the patch. Go to your local tailor and ask them, and they can probably explain the repair to you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few questions:

1) How big is the hole?
2) Is the material around the hole threadbare?
3) DO you want the jeans to look as if the hole never existed? OR do you want a DIY, patched look?

In any case, thee Denim Doctors in LA (3rd Street) are probably the best resource I can think of. Phone them, and at very least they will tell you your options. There is also a similar shop in NYC. I don't remember the name off hand, but will try to remember to look it up tonight and post the name tomorrow.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've used the Denim Doctor myself. They do an excellent job, but they're expensive. It's appropriate to use them for expensive, or collectible vintage jeans. For a newer pair of jeans, an good tailor can do the job. And the truth is, the job done by regular tailors looks a lot like the work I got done at Denim Doctor. The basic idea is to get a piece of denim in a similar color/fade to the denim around your hole, and to sew the patch in with a machine - lots of thread (thread also in matching color. It never looks absolutely perfect, but it looks a lot better than it sounds.

Rob

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any talented tailor can put in an "invisible patch" into a threadbare area or hole in denim. Mine even blended the thread he used to match the wear patterns on my jeans. It's not an expensive procedure either, if I remember correctly the whole thing was less than $15. Hope this helps.

Aaron

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find the name. Anyway, the previous posters are correct. The tailor will using surge a piece of similarly colored denim onto the hole with similar colored, soft thread. Why don't you just do it yourself if the denim is not too soft. Just sew a patch on by hand while you're watching tv. People pay good money to have the DIY look. You could actually DIY it (no extra cost&#33
wink.gif

stache

Reaction score
Maybe this is not your cup of tea but sometimes I will put a patch behind the hole in jeans. That way they are repaired but they still have that frayed look. P.S. consider putting your wallet in the front pocket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads