• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean of the minute?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what would you describe as the "jean of the minute"? Super skinny (at least for men) seems to be fading, and I'm trying to figure out what the next "big thing" will be. Right now, I'm actually seeing a slight revival of bootcuts (though subtle ones, not big flares), and regular straight jeans. Also, I'm wondering if the raw trend is fading as well (pun completely intended)? Any thoughts on what the big thing for spring will be?

ghostdeini

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure people don't rapidly switch the cuts of their pants up according to what's hot and what's not. from my understanding, it's more for what works on a particular body type and the type of silhouette one is trying to achieve

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdeini
I'm pretty sure people don't rapidly switch the cuts of their pants up according to what's hot and what's not. from my understanding, it's more for what works on a particular body type and the type of silhouette one is trying to achieve

This wasn't a personal quest to find this mythical jean. It was more a general curiosity. I, for one, am best off with regular straight jeans, and that's pretty much what I stick with, with a bootcut in there every now and again.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think raw is fading, I think it's picking up steam...

straight leg is the new skinny, maybe bootcut will be the new straight leg
smile.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I think were looking at Spring 08 for the boot-cut to be revered in the same manner as the skinny amongst the elite (you guys). I know some of you wear the boot cut as an everyday jean, I'm talking in terms of articles and hype marking the return.
Relaxed boot and straight is a given amongst the safer and sometimes more portly fashionista's.

Raw has some life, the mainstream this year will adopt and destroy this trend.

Don't discount Black as a major player for Fall, in stores from Late June. Brian already commented a few weeks ago on the influx of Black so congrats all round for being ahead of the curve..again folks.. yeah !!!!

Colors will make a small dent in the market..sulphur dyes etc.. but only small.

I think distress will be back before we know it, some brave souls will try it for Spring 08, but Fall 08 will most likely be were it's allover the markets again.

Just an educated guess????

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say that black is definitely making inroads. I've always resisted them because they have no place in my wardrobe, really, and because I have acid flashbacks to Motley Crue concerts (grew up in the 80s) and garment dyed black jeans come to mind. However, I really like the black tinted indigo warp with grey weft jeans (like the denim on the SDA-D1002) that often count as "black" with companies like Nudie.

Straightleg and bootcuts are definitely back. I'd say that they never
really left, except among the NYC/LA elite that can wear skinny jeans and look non-stupid (c'mon guys, the typical American dude with a 36" waist looks like tweddle dee in a pair of jeans that taper to 7.5"). Besides, I think that companies like April 77 jumped the shark when they made an entire line of jeans that precisely .01% off the population can look good in. I'll step out and say that the fashionistas and garmentos will be solidly on board by FW07. Distressed jeans will be back too. I have lots of raw jeans on rotation, and want something a little more relaxed, but still dark and subdued. I plan on buying a pair or 5EP dark distressed bootcuts soon if Sauce doesn't beat me to them, and jump the whole trend by a full 6 months, in my estimation.

I think that prices will continue to fall, and "premium" jeans will stabilize at the $150-$200 mark. $300 jeans are just not sustainable for any period of time.

Anyway, I'll continue with my rotation of slim but not skinny bootcut, straight, and occasionally tapered jeans, and my couple of pairs of slouchy jeans for the time being, I think.

BTW, I am in the process of doing specs for a pair of (Secret company name here) x Styleforum jeans that will be sold at select stores (maybe exclusively at affiliates), for FW07. The quality will blow you away, that I guarantee. The cut, I am thinking of a mid-low rise, slim, straightleg, about 8" at the hem. Would appreciate your comments. Retail would be in the $250 range. Maybe less with a coupon...

Double D

Reaction score
In A/W 07 a bunch of labels seem to be taking cues from Nudie's Thin Finn and Even Steven cuts... low yoke anti-fit ass with much more tailored lower legs.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds cool, I look forward to more info.

Max

Reaction score
Raw and gray/black denim in skinny straight leg (think 8.5" leg openings).

savage

Reaction score
I think distress will be back before we know it

I hope not. For me I hate it - that's why I don't like 99% of PRPS denim.

RAW still has a ways to go.. except may be among you guys, but I think you still love 'em too. People in my area are like 3-4 seasons behind LA/ NYC. Once it's down here, for the vast majority, it's already over..

Straight leg will be the 'it' jean.. skinny leg will still be around for women, but most men i don't think can rock it, so it will dimish over a few seasons. Black Denim for men I think will be in for a season or two. Bootcut may slow down, but it will always be an easy sell to a big majority of the population.

I've been seeing a lot of Colors & Acid Wash for denim lately.. I will NEVER go there, but maybe some will. One company will be coming out with, for women, jeans that are yellow, pink, purple, and some others.. I think white might start to come into the picture too.

I agree that denim prices will stabalize but some jeans cost more for a reason, case in point 5ep. But not too many people understand or know why they pay so much for their denim.

Allover print will die and timely death within 2 seasons.

I think you will start to see a small nitch of RAW denim for women too.

Max

Reaction score
Raw is a word, not an acronym. Lowercase is appropriate.

I don't think raw denim is going to catch on for women unless it doesn't stretch like men's raw.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Raw has been in for a good year in men's and women's mainstream. It's all over the place in Nordstrom, and even GAP too.

The distressing has never went away, and I doubt it will. There's still strong love going on for distressed gear, shirts, boots, etc. more than just jeans.

As for the influx of black, I hate it. I love black clothing as individual pieces, but all black drives me nuts. I've been seeing people wear a lot of all-black lately, on the forums and in person. It's impossible to get it to really look right. Yohji Yamamoto can wear all black. His models can wear all black and a couple girls can wear all black. Black t-shirt + black pants or black dress is one thing, but black shirt + black tie + black cardi + black jacket + black pants + black gloves + black beanie + black boots... the tones clash and the look become just a silhouette (in a bad way, not in a Yohji yamamoto way), that and you look like a beatnik AND that you're trying to hard. Neither of which is a good thing. I'd rather people see me and think that I look stylish and that my clothes fit me well, then people look at me and think, "Whoa, he must be like, a poet or something! Or into fashion!" People who want to be monotonous should stick to all grey, which can go with black, and it generally looks good if you mix multiple shades.

Rant mode off. I'm sounding like LA Guy on skinny jeans.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I've been seeing people wear a lot of all-black lately, on the forums and in person. It's impossible to get it to really look right. Yohji Yamamoto can wear all black. His models can wear all black and a couple girls can wear all black. Black t-shirt + black pants or black dress is one thing, but black shirt + black tie + black cardi + black jacket + black pants + black gloves + black beanie + black boots... the tones clash and the look become just a silhouette (in a bad way, not in a Yohji yamamoto way), that and you look like a beatnik AND that you're trying to hard. Neither of which is a good thing. I'd rather people see me and think that I look stylish and that my clothes fit me well, then people look at me and think, "Whoa, he must be like, a poet or something! Or into fashion!" People who want to be monotonous should stick to all grey, which can go with black, and it generally looks good if you mix multiple shades.

you read my mind. which is worse, looking like a beat poet or a ninja?
marchal.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
As for the influx of black, I hate it. I love black clothing as individual pieces, but all black drives me nuts. I've been seeing people wear a lot of all-black lately, on the forums and in person. It's impossible to get it to really look right. Yohji Yamamoto can wear all black. His models can wear all black and a couple girls can wear all black. Black t-shirt + black pants or black dress is one thing, but black shirt + black tie + black cardi + black jacket + black pants + black gloves + black beanie + black boots... the tones clash and the look become just a silhouette (in a bad way, not in a Yohji yamamoto way), that and you look like a beatnik AND that you're trying to hard. Neither of which is a good thing. I'd rather people see me and think that I look stylish and that my clothes fit me well, then people look at me and think, "Whoa, he must be like, a poet or something! Or into fashion!" People who want to be monotonous should stick to all grey, which can go with black, and it generally looks good if you mix multiple shades.

Rant mode off. I'm sounding like LA Guy on skinny jeans.

Brian!, you'll hate Rokara because I only use Black denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads