• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jcrew tie

gregory

Reaction score
I graduated [whew]. Can someone give me some thoughts about this tie? Buy or pass? Does it look Ferragamo-ish or am I kidding myself?
63363_BL7725.jpg
63363_OR5346.jpg
Jcrew. Printed silk. Italy. Dry Clean. $49.50 sale $19.99 http://www.jcrew.com/catalog....uiting= Thanks, gregory

Classic

Reaction score
Congratulations on your achievement, and best of luck in future endeavours.
But, about this tie, IMO pass, pass, pass.

Classic

gregory

Reaction score
Congratulations on your achievement, and best of luck in future endeavours.
But, about this tie, IMO pass, pass, pass.

Classic
Thanks. I got elected into Phi Beta Kappa as well [note to self: have you no shame?].

What do you not like about the tie? Would you feel the same about Ferragamo ties?

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts
gregory

Classic

Reaction score
They appear to be too childish, and are just not my style.
I would find it very hard to take anyone wearing this tie seriously. This is not meant to offend anyone, but it is just my opinion.
And yes I would feel this way no matter who made the tie.

Classic

NavyStyles

Reaction score
The ties are too bright for my tastes.  Maybe if they were slightly toned down and didn't have four different pictures on them.  Pass.

EDIT: I just read the "I graduated." Congrats. And for Phi Beta Kappa. That's great, man.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
all about personal preference. someone said "too bright" which is his opinion, my opinion is i love bright ties, so it's really a personal preference. have the confidence to ask yourself if you like it enough and to hell with what people think about it, as long as you like it.

gregory

Reaction score
Thanks all for your opinions - they are truly valued. I think I'll take a look at it in the store and in the mirror before I make up my mind. All the ties I own are stolen from my dad. They are all Dunhill repp ties. They look stunning, elegant and English (in my opinion, a good thing...) but I needed something more playful when I dress up for casual events with people around my age group (22) ...
smile.gif
Others, feel free to comment. Thanks again

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've seen the JCrew ties this season, and I think they certainly have a Ferragamo-ish quality. That struck me when I first saw them.

If you like them, and the setting is appropriate, by all means buy at that price. JCrew sells decent ties that are certainly on par with many designer ties. For wearing around an early 20s crowd they would be very appropriate. I think there's nothing wrong with displaying some whimsy with your tie selection.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
You might even say it's a little Hermes-ish. I like the blue one better.....At that price, why not?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're 22? for some reason, i thought you were much older...

btw, i can't stand whimsical ties like that, whether they're hermes, farragamo or j.crew. however, imo, they look ok on older guys.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Just my two cents.

I bought a few whimiscal ties when I was younger....I thought I'd wear them at Christmas or on Valentines day or out for dinner on a Saturday night... I never got around to wearing them, and they still sit in my closet.

I also saw some similar ties (7-folds, no less . ) at a store a few months ago for about $30.  Great bargain, I realized, but I also realized that I just was not the type of guy to wear a red tie with blue feathers, or a blue tie with pastel pink clown fish on it.  I think in this case it comes down to self knowledge.

Do you want to wear a whimsical tie that a small percentage of folks may see as a novelty?  If you feel confident and would wear it, then go for it. If you wouldn't, (for whatever reason) then don't.

I would wear either one of those ties if it were a solid.

Bic

NavyStyles

Reaction score
all about personal preference.  someone said "too bright" which is his opinion, my opinion is i love bright ties, so it's really a personal preference.  have the confidence to ask yourself if you like it enough and to hell with what people think about it, as long as you like it.
I think maybe what was turning me off was more the mixture of colors (with the little animal/plant icons). Someone else mentioned if the ties were solid, he'd go for 'em. And I could see that.

bryce330

Reaction score
Wow, this board has really gotten conservative lately. Those ties may be a little colorful for some tastes, but I would hardly call them "novelty" ties.

Personally, I really like the colors but I think there is too much going on with four different animal/plant motifs on the tie. If the tie just had one of those repeating motifs (i.e. the turtles), I would like it a lot more and might buy one for myself.

I agree with the other posters that ties are really a matter of personal preference (i.e. I refuse to wear repp ties), and I don't think anyone is going to hold your preferred tie style against you (unless you wear true "novelty" ties, i.e. Ralph Marlin ties with pictures of piano keys or characters from the Sopranos).

Classic

Reaction score
Just to add to my original comments, I have nothing against the colors. But the pattern with all the characters is what I do not like about the ties. Far too busy for my tastes.
Again, it is strictly my own opinion and so I continue to say pass. But the bottom line is that you are the one that has to make the decision, so if you like them, then go for it.

Classic

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I like fun ties, so I would go for it.

I personally have several Charlie Brown & Snoopy ties, a Bugs Bunny tie that always gets compliments and a black tie with what, from a distance, appear to be yellow paisleys, however, when you get closer, you realize that they are Batman logos.

I wouldn't wear these to a conservative or formal event, but they are fun when I'm in a whimsical mood.

It's all about confidence and whether your personality will allow you to carry off a silly tie. However, in a sometimes boring world of blue suits and white shirts, a tie is one of the few ways for a man to express his individuality, I say have fun with it.

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads