• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcrew suits

hotspur

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this suit from jcrew for both a new years party and for interviews this spring. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6258/66258.jsp

I did a search for jcrew suits, and I am surprised there is not a single thread on them. Anyway, if I am going to buy it, it is going to be tommorow. Unfortunately I just missed a free shipping/20% off code that expired yesterday... basically 100 bucks down the drain (including cost of pants) which is a bummer.

So. Worth 500? Should I wait to see if there will be any new 20% off sales before the new year?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hotspur
So. Worth 500?

They are all going to say no, not worth 500

they are also all going to say not to buy it online since it doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with suits so there is a good chance it will not fit right

Better luck (and suits for that price for sure) can be had at a store where you can try it on

For 500 you can even get a suit from Thick as Thieves made exactly to your measurements...

DrFaustus

Reaction score
Another reason not to buy is they send out 20% off coupons what seems to be every other day. I'd wait for a coupon if you really want it.

hotspur

Reaction score
you're right... I remember thick as thieves advertising themselves on here. I'd actually look into them, but I really need a suit by the 31st, so I'm going to have to go with rtw.

I've bought a suit before. The only problem is the pants were not separates. I got stuck having to alter a pair of 42 pants into a 32, and they look completely ridiculous.

It's not too hard to find a suit that fits. 42L pretty much fits me perfectly, assuming the shoulders are not marsupialed, the armholes are high enough, the waist is slim enough, and the sleeves are not too long (which is always since my arms are short).

At least Jcrew makes the pants separate, so I can buy any size I want.

Also: any idea what happens if I buy a suit tomorrow, and get a coupon for 20% off on Monday or Tuesday? Would I be able to get a credit, or would I have to physically ship the suit back and repurchase it at the lower price?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, aren't these suits half-canvassed?

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I visited Gary's store in Cambridge, he told me he thought J Crew was doing pretty good things at the young/ mid-range end of the spectrum (more or less where I am right now). Guy seems to know his clothing, so that's at least some kind of endorsement.

basis

Reaction score
You could do a lot better for the money. You could also do a lot worse.

If time if the real constraint, you don't actually care what people's opinions are; just do it.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $500 you can do a lot better for this time of year.
I'd suggest you go into a RL or BB store and try on something in your size.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy something from the BS thread or post a wanted thread.
You can go very far for $500.00 on here in your size, the only issue is you will have to get the pants altered.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
yes, i own a jcrew suit and have been quite pleased with it...i did have to get it altered quite a bit and brought that jacket in and pants etc. but they are pretty good if you need a suit relatively quick.

hotspur

Reaction score
chester, what kind of alterations did you have to make on the suit?

And do you guys like cuffs on these pants? Normally I'm split, but I am thinking of going with the slimmer fitting Luldow. They are pictured with a cuff and look nice. I am pretty tall, although my inseam is only 32-33 max.

kjm

Reaction score
If you like the fit and styling, go for it.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this suit from jcrew for both a new years party and for interviews this spring. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6258/66258.jsp
I own that very suit in the color J. Crew calls heather coal. I've had it for two, maybe three years, and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. I confess, though, that I haven't put too many miles on it, so perhaps I shouldn't try to speak to its durability. I may not be remembing this correctly, but I believe I paid for the whole suit what they are currently charging just for the jacket.

In heather coal, the suit is dark enough to appear black in the evening, but it's not so dark that you look like an undertaker when wearing it during the day. In other words, it's a damn useful suit in that particular color.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've bought a suit before. The only problem is the pants were not separates. I got stuck having to alter a pair of 42 pants into a 32, and they look completely ridiculous.
At least Jcrew makes the pants separate, so I can buy any size I want.

I am pretty tall, although my inseam is only 32-33 max.

It sounds like you might be a little confused on standard suit sizing for pants. A 42 suit should NOT come with 42 pants because unless you are really funny shaped, if you can fit into 42 pants, a 42 jacket would not fit.

That being said, you say you have a 32 waist which is a pretty big drop regardless so you would need waists taken in or even pants recut (to prevent the ridiculous look). Most 42 suits are going to come in at 36 waist and some more athletic cut suits will have an 8 inch drop bringing them into the 34 range.

Are you pretty built in the chest/do you work out a lot? If not, it is possible that you are buying your jackets too big which is going to give you pants that are also to big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads