• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcrew suits

hotspur

Reaction score
If my chest is 41 inches, do I want to buy a 42L? I have seen some posts in the FS section that shows suits that are marked 40 42 as having chests measuring 45+

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cut of the suit looks nice but who knows about quality.

Why do you need it so urgently for 12/31? Is getting a stop-gap suit a possibility (something cheap but decent-looking from Target or H&M)? That way you can buy a real nice suit without the rush later on.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea man - you are a candidate for MTM if your drop is that great. Sounds like even with separates you will need to spend lots of money on alterations so you might as well just buck-up a few more dollars for something that will fit properly. The above suggestion to get a stop-gap suit (separates) is a good idea IMO. MANY here will laugh but the separates at Target don't look nearly as bad as you'd think and they are about $100 for a jacket and pants. Get something like that, pay only to get the sleeves and pants hemmed correctly, and take your time examining MTM options in your area. If you like the styling, Thick as Thieves may not be a bad option for you; I have read enough about them to understand that the quality and fit are very good considering the reasonable sums they charge.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've not picked up one of the Target suits, but mostly just because they don't carry my size. As far as I could tell, they look pretty decent and would probably hold up as a starter or beater. The great majority of people couldn't really tell the difference between a Golden Fleece and a Target special.

I'd recommend you spend the extra $10 to get the tailor to take in the sides or back along with the sleeves/ hemming, assuming that the Target sizing is as huge in their suits as it is in everything else they sell. A trim, well-fitting suit looks great on a young guy.

hotspur

Reaction score
I needed it for new years because I am going out with some friends, and the club has a dress code.

But I just wanted to confirm... if my chest is 41 inches... I want a 42L? Or would a 40L fit me better... ie is a 42L really a 44 inch chest?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Young man, please do not spend $500 on a suit on the internet. I am quite certain that in your local area there is a department store, staffed by a reasonably competent sales person, who can fit you into a high quality off the peg suit for $500 or less.

If this is your first or second suit, your primary concern needs to be fit, feel, and drape, not canvassing. To be concerned with such detail at your stage is like concerning yourself over the valve timing on a 5.7 litre small block while you're learning how to let out the clutch.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hotspur
I needed it for new years because I am going out with some friends, and the club has a dress code. But I just wanted to confirm... if my chest is 41 inches... I want a 42L? Or would a 40L fit me better... ie is a 42L really a 44 inch chest?
If you must order something online I'd recommend you order a 41L. They are rare but an example is currently available here. You could also consider 40L's though. Because of your drop I suspect most 42L's will be too large for you. You really should go into a store and try on a suit in your size (at least to determine what your size is) first.

hotspur

Reaction score
that bb suit looks pretty nice. You guys are seriously eroding my consumer surplus.

Is it just me, or do the arms on suits always look photoshopped? There is no way they will ever be that slim.

hotspur

Reaction score
In what amounts to a true christmas miracle, the suit fits me perfectly in almost every way. The only alteration it looks like I am going to need is it in the bottom half of the suit. There is a little (lot?) of extra room there, and it falls funny around my waist/hips. Other then that, the shoulders fit perfectly, the arms are just the right length (big surprise here), and there is just enough room in the chest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads