• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jcrew shoes - what do you think

Nopike343

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
ehhh
I'm looking for some casual work wear type shoes, that's why I am considering the Wolverines. Those Peals I just ordered may end up being a nice compromise.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Hmm,

What do people think of split-toe shoes for casual wear?

I'm also not the biggest fan of pebble grain. I kind of like a more standard leather with some distressing.

Check out the Frye James Oxford, then.

Petrus1

Reaction score
What I find annoying is when someone shows an item that is $150 that the people on here chime in with suggestions that he buy a shoe 3-4x the price. I think that when you give an opinion it should be within the price class of what the poster posted.
If he's talking about $150 shoes then recommend something in that class or show where he can buy more expensive shoes on sale somewhere (not used ebay shoes or other crap) To me, a used $800 shoe is worth nothing. Give it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Also, a shoe that doesn't fit perfectly is worth nothing regardless of the price.
I'd recommend one of the leather soled lace ups from Cole Haan that sell for $200 which are sometimes on sale for a $100-130

btw, I had the AE Leeds model years ago. It is like a double leather sole type lace up. You mentioned the fit but I'd have to ask you where you tried them on. You really have to go to an AE store because that have them in all sizes and widths. Dept. stores generally just stock a medium width and are not the best places to buy shoes.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Petrus,

Thanks for the helpful comments. I actually did stop by an AE store and tried on a 9D, 9.5D, and 9E. (In 3 different lasts). Unfortunately I think something about the AE fit just isn't for me.

For a price range, I would say $250 would be the max I'd be willing to spend here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
If only there were some shoe threads on here with lots of pics.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nopike343
I'm looking for some casual work wear type shoes, that's why I am considering the Wolverines. Those Peals I just ordered may end up being a nice compromise.

Yes, those are well-made Goodyear-welted shoes and will last a LONG time. I ordered a pair for myself last week.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, OP. I find it hard to believe that AE shoes just don't fit you, and you prefer to take a shot in the dark mail-order instead, but whatever. The wolverines are actually not entirely terrible in comparison to some of the others pics you've posted.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Okay, OP. I find it hard to believe that AE shoes just don't fit you, and you prefer to take a shot in the dark mail-order instead, but whatever. The wolverines are actually not entirely terrible in comparison to some of the others pics you've posted.

Trust me - I REALLY wanted AE's to work for me. I spent about an hour in the AE store trying on various options, but they were all terribly uncomfortable in the toe box for me. (Or when the toe box was fine the shoe was way too long on me).

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me - I REALLY wanted AE's to work for me. I spent about an hour in the AE store trying on various options, but they were all terribly uncomfortable in the toe box for me. (Or when the toe box was fine the shoe was way too long on me).
Suggestion: size down and increase the width. Sleeker shoes are deliberately longer for style. Also, you don't sound like a D. Did the sales staff suggest an E or wider?

Petrus1

Reaction score

Perhaps the length really wasn't too long for you. You need room in the front of the shoe(about the width of your thumb) and in some shoes that taper more you may need an inch.
Something's wrong about the fit or perhaps the salesmen fitting you because the Leeds has a fuller box. Or perhaps it's just the double sole that initially feels stiffer to you.
1 Last (511)
Similar to the 7 Last from heel to the ball of the foot, yet with a more rounded, fuller fitting toe.

Top Sellers: Bradley, Leeds, Wilbert

zerostyle

Reaction score
Petrus, The length of the 9's felt perfect to me - just a very tiny bit of slippage. However, the toe box was quite tight on me and my pinky toe, especially in the right shoe, was terribly uncomfortable. The 9E's just were way too wide near my heel and my foot slipped out. My foot is a pretty normal width, but only a touch wide. With the 9.5's, the toe box felt fine, but my heel started slipping too much. The toe box also creased severely in the front from the extra space. Pictures of the 9.5D's after walking around in them:
shoe-1.jpg
shoe-2.jpg

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrus1
What I find annoying is when someone shows an item that is $150 that the people on here chime in with suggestions that he buy a shoe 3-4x the price. I think that when you give an opinion it should be within the price class of what the poster posted.

"spend more to get a better item" is a totally valid suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads