• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcrew shirt sizing

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the jcrew website XXL shirts are listed as 47-49 inches across the chest but most other brands are 50-52 inches across the chest.

Do jcrew shirts typically run large? Or do they just make some pretty small(er) shirts?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They tailored fit are fairly trim compared to other comprable shirts. Probably not to the extent of RL Custom Fit, but more than J. Crew's regular fit shirts. Overall, I buy these shirts once they drop to a certain price point, but at their full price there are usually better options out there.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I only buy them on sale for $25, which is a pretty good deal I think. The shirts do shrink a bit. I'd wear a small if they didn't shrink, though they are a little short in the sleeves. So I get a medium, which are quite big in the neck and then shrink the hell out of em for a perfect fit. I feel I should be a medium in most clothes, not a small like I am at 6' and 38" chest.

Reaction score
they're extremely short in the sleeves. i wear the washed favorite shirt in M, and i'm 6' with 42" chest. so i'd say they run large.

if you are talking about dress shirts, i don't know, since for actual "dress shirts" i can't ever do s/m/l/xl sizing with my 36" sleeve length.

stype

Reaction score
I own a few of the washed casual's tailored fits too. They fit me well in M and I'm 6'2", 180. The sleeves feel the right length for me but I wear 34" sleeves. At 36 I'm not surprised you'd call them short. They work for me and I haven't seem them shrink since I bought them, and I'm hoping they don't too much.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Yeah I only buy them on sale for $25, which is a pretty good deal I think. The shirts do shrink a bit. I'd wear a small if they didn't shrink, though they are a little short in the sleeves. So I get a medium, which are quite big in the neck and then shrink the hell out of em for a perfect fit. I feel I should be a medium in most clothes, not a small like I am at 6' and 38" chest.

Totally agree. I'm 6'1, 39-40in chest, but I still go with the small. It works for me because I have a fairly short torso and the sleeves are just right. However, when I hang them to dry, I always pull on the sleeves and tail a bit to stretch it back out lengthwise. Even at full price I will buy them if there are colors I like. The fit is so much better than most mall shirts because they have a very straight fit, and don't feel wide at the stomach like BR's supposed "slim" shirts.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Totally agree. I'm 6'1, 39-40in chest, but I still go with the small. It works for me because I have a fairly short torso and the sleeves are just right. However, when I hang them to dry, I always pull on the sleeves and tail a bit to stretch it back out lengthwise. Even at full price I will buy them if there are colors I like. The fit is so much better than most mall shirts because they have a very straight fit, and don't feel wide at the stomach like BR's supposed "slim" shirts.

They are still quite wide for a slim shirt or "tailored fit" as they call them. Even RL Custom fit needs to be tapered. I'm surprised at 6'1" you wear a small. The sleeves were right on the cusp of being too short for me. My sleeves are 33.5" I think. Unless you're arms are short, I'd recommend you try a medium when it goes on sale and turn it inside out and let it dry all the way on high, it is much more convenient to wash when you can put them in the dryer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads