• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JCrew Gifford wingtips - very disappointed

solomon773

Reaction score
In my opinion, these wingtips are just about my favorite looking shoes. When brand new, they feel very solid and well-made...However, I've had to return them twice, after only about 2 months each, as the sole has come apart in the exact same place. I've read on the forum the stories about JCrew's shoe quality, but I didn't think it could happen to me, since I try to really take care of my shoes. I'm not willing to try a third time for these...

Can you recommend very similar looking shoes, with a better quality? I do like the Aldens, and the RL Darltons but I wanted to know what the forum thinks, as these are a bit out of my range right now.

Solomon

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew is for those who want nice things but don't know or appreciate quality. I bought RL Albin wingtips (about 2 years ago) for about $125. Great shoes for the price. Wingtips are quiter common and you should be able to get them fairly readily.

malat

Reaction score
Save your coins until the next Ralph Lauren private sale and pick up the Darlton's. That's what I did, and they are now one of my favorite pairs of shoes. Seriously.

khaki sack

Reaction score
That's what you get for buying shoes at J.Crew !!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed that people like those atrocious shoes in the first place........

solomon773

Reaction score
Thank you all the serious replies. How do I get invited to the RL private sale? Also, what are the thoughts on the Crockett and Jones Bangor wingtip, or Tods New Esquire wingtips?

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
You will find few people here who would argue against C&J's, and for good reason; always solid buys. I personally prefer the darltons to the bangors, aesthetically.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
That's what you get for buying just about anything at J.Crew !!

Fixed...

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.