• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JCrew Cotton-Cashmere Sweaters

kilokore

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It must have taken me almost 2 years to post a new thread since my last one; it feels like an eternity.

I will get to the point: I'm looking for some crewneck sweaters and half zip fleece/sweaters to uh, sport, for the fall. The issue is... I don't know where to look for one. Then I came across Jcrew's website, and I must say that the products listed there are not too shabby.

Which brings us to the question: how slim-fitting are these sweaters and how long really are these long sleeves? As I often have been the victim of loosely hanging sweaters with undercutting sleeves, I am inclined to exercise a respectable level of circumspection to my online-shopping approach. And being located outside the CONUS does not avail myself to "try them on."

So please, what should I do?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought one of their v-necks. Usually, I wear a large, but I had to size one down. Definitely makes it trim through the body, but it does come a bit short. For me, this is right around my waist, so it's not too much of an issue. The sleeves are just long enough (I wear a 34-35 sleeve).

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a few of these. I've found them a little boxy and short for my body. The sleeves are fine for my arms. I have similar sweaters from Martin & Osa which are a little slimmer and longer.

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
Honestly, it all depends on your size and fluff you got there.

I use to wear a Jcrew medium and it was pretty impossible to get them in my size. At the time I was 180 (College happened), 5'6 and short arms (32). Their sweaters would cover part of my arm and it was a mess! I even wore their shirts at a medium and they only worked cause it was tailor fitted. So if you're a big guy, you could get away with the mediums to look slim.

Now I'm 160 and I'm back to their smalls. They fit awesome and the sleeves fit me right at the wrist. I just picked up one of their merona sweaters this season and its nice. I notice they keep the upper chest bigger and everything else tighter to make it look slimmer. They don't slimming at all on the tables but they are!

I hope that helps. A review of two ranges...

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
Honestly...their customer service is great...you call them up about their sizings. And look for coupons!

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like J. Crew but I think you need to stay away from these sweaters. I found that the cotton/cashmere blend performs terribly, the sweater loses its shape after numerous wearings, and I found the cut boxy. The blend works, for me, in their sweater vests, but not the long-sleeved sweaters.

My recommendation would be their merino wool knits instead. In fact, I think merino is better than any other blends and I'd go with that or if you wanted to spend a lot of money, 100% cashmere.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The trick with J Crew sweaters is to buy true to size and get your tailor to take in the extra fabric around the waist and chest for $20. I used to size down one but the sleeves just ended up being too short.

Edit: I would do this with their merino wool sweaters.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 180 and their size M sweaters fit almsot perfect. There's a little extra fabric around the waist, but not enough for me to spend money to get a tailor to fix it

erbs

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the JCrew wool/nylon/cashmere/angora "Spencer" blend? The cable-knit sweaters look pretty good, but I'm not sure how they'll hold up.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
i tried them on, were rather itchy and didn't seem especially warm

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I really like J. Crew but I think you need to stay away from these sweaters. I found that the cotton/cashmere blend performs terribly, the sweater loses its shape after numerous wearings, and I found the cut boxy. The blend works, for me, in their sweater vests, but not the long-sleeved sweaters.

My recommendation would be their merino wool knits instead. In fact, I think merino is better than any other blends and I'd go with that or if you wanted to spend a lot of money, 100% cashmere.

+1.
Well said.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank

Echoing this again. No hate on them but their cotton cashmere blend really does suck.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
banana republic cotton/cashmere blend is slimmer fitting than j crews

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I find when mall brands do these fabric blends it's just a marketing gimmick. What is gained by throwing that small % of cheap cashmere in it besides more money in their cash registers? Having years of experience with banana and all their ****** merchandise I can say I no longer experience infinite pilling, stretching, shape-shifting and flying squirrel syndrome like I used to. Life is good.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
How do they charge more when all of their sweaters are priced the same, including the 100% cotton ones?...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads