• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jcrew and other cheaper suits

BostonRussell

Reaction score
I'm a college student looking to add a second suit to my wardrobe. I've found that all things J Crew fit me extremely well but the J Crew locations around here (Orlando FL, where style goes to die) don't keep suits in stock. I am going to New York for the first time this winter and it seemed like a good time to grab a suit. I'm looking for around the 500$ range.

We have a Zara here. The suits there fit me well but the price has a "too good to be true" feel to it. I realise in my price range I'm not getting top quality, but they sell cord jackets for like 60$ and that makes me nervous. I am the worst kind of consumer.

I keep hearing great things about H&M and they sell their grey suit for 250$. I imagine it wouldn't be the longest lasting but Jesus, a modern cut for 250$

Finally I always love the DKNY suits I see in GQ and they always float around 500$.

I suppose my question is how much experience do you all have with those brands? Am I getting any better construction at J Crew than Zara? What's up with DKNY (Can't find a store that carries their men's suits in my area)? H&M? Once again I realise I'm not going to get the most amazing suit from these places but I take care of my clothes and figure it'll last me until I see a raise in income.

P.s. I'm new. Love the board, it's like the GQ style forum except it recognizes the existence of places besides Manhattan and incomes under six figures.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Alot of times, you get what you pay for. But cheap stuff is great for travel, I have various travel jackets and suits that are almost disposable.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
I'm a college student looking to add a second suit to my wardrobe. I've found that all things J Crew fit me extremely well but the J Crew locations around here (Orlando FL, where style goes to die) don't keep suits in stock. I am going to New York for the first time this winter and it seemed like a good time to grab a suit. I'm looking for around the 500$ range.

We have a Zara here. The suits there fit me well but the price has a "too good to be true" feel to it. I realise in my price range I'm not getting top quality, but they sell cord jackets for like 60$ and that makes me nervous. I am the worst kind of consumer.

I keep hearing great things about H&M and they sell their grey suit for 250$. I imagine it wouldn't be the longest lasting but Jesus, a modern cut for 250$

Finally I always love the DKNY suits I see in GQ and they always float around 500$.

I suppose my question is how much experience do you all have with those brands? Am I getting any better construction at J Crew than Zara? What's up with DKNY (Can't find a store that carries their men's suits in my area)? H&M? Once again I realise I'm not going to get the most amazing suit from these places but I take care of my clothes and figure it'll last me until I see a raise in income.

P.s. I'm new. Love the board, it's like the GQ style forum except it recognizes the existence of places besides Manhattan and incomes under six figures.

Or see if you can get someone to partner with you and buy 2 1818 suit for 998. Promotion ends on 30th, and those suits will beat your JCrew any day.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
Or see if you can get someone to partner with you and buy 2 1818 suit for 998. Promotion ends on 30th, and those suits will beat your JCrew any day.

Those are some beautiful suits and I love Brooks (3 shirts for 200$ has been my first taste of nicer RTW clothing) but I'm somewhat put off by the "relaxed fit." I like my clothing closer fitted (not to the extent of super slim that risks going out of style, but relatively slim). I realise I could get a suit taken it but is it asking too much of a tailor to turn a suit that brags of its' relaxed fit into a slim suit?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick the Fitzgerald line at BB. They are much slimmer fitting, not enough to not need some level of tailoring, but sacks they ain't.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fitzgerald Suits are very nice, and much slimmer than the Regents and other BB; but they are not as slim at J. Crew as far as I can tell. I do not have experience with J. Crew suits, but if they are as well made for the price as other J. Crew stuff (which I like a lot), and you like the styling, you will be just fine. Go to the new "liquor store" on West Broadway in Tribeca when you are in NY. Also, if they don't have suits at your store, if you order on line from the store, shipping should be free. if the suit doesn't work, just return it at the store. No harm, no foul.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: H&M suits, PandArts wears them, and posts pics regularly on WAYWN. They look great.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Re: H&M suits, PandArts wears them, and posts pics regularly on WAYWN. They look great.

I have a medium gray Single Breasted 2 Button from H&M. The fit is fantastic with no alterations required. Nothing glaringly wrong with the fabric or construction. Have received many compliments. For the price it's hard to beat.

I plan on wearing it tomorrow to a corporate event. If I get my hands on a camera I'll try to post a pic.

Another option is the new Red Label (Line?) from Alfani in Macy's. Modern cut (although not quite as slim as the H&M) and on sale the price is pretty much unbeatable.

Neither of these suits will last for decades, but they are definitely a great starter suit.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that you are looking for a modern, slim cut; the H&M option deserves closer inspection. A friend of mine has one of their suit jackets that looks great on him. Quality is not high, but OK - and the price is so low that it's more than acceptable. Be aware that their clothes are very slim-fitting however; I'm a slim guy, but my thigh muscles make H&M trousers a no-go area for me...

As suggested above, check out the H&M fits from Pandarts in the WAYWRN thread.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relax, you're in the perfect range for stuff like H&M and Zara. You're young, they're slightly trendy but won't look ridiculous in 5 years. They fit you well, you can afford them, what more do you want? Treat them with good care and they will last you long enough and by the time they wear out, you'll probably have added several new suits to your rotation by then.

unexpected

Reaction score
On a related vein, can someone talk me out of this suit?

Okay, yea, it's Kenneth Cole, but I need a suit for New Year's, and at this price, I'm okay with just getting even one use out of it. I know it's not the best suit, but the cut ain't bad, and it's so cheap!

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Welcome.

Alot of times, you get what you pay for. But cheap stuff is great for travel, I have various travel jackets and suits that are almost disposable.

What he said.

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Given that you are looking for a modern, slim cut; the H&M option deserves closer inspection. A friend of mine has one of their suit jackets that looks great on him. Quality is not high, but OK - and the price is so low that it's more than acceptable. Be aware that their clothes are very slim-fitting however; I'm a slim guy, but my thigh muscles make H&M trousers a no-go area for me...

As suggested above, check out the H&M fits from Pandarts in the WAYWRN thread.

ditto. I love how H&M jackets fit my frame, but I cannot wear the pants that are paired with them because they fit like spandex skin tights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads