1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jazz music

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Style guy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Get Smart,

not sure if you'll even come back to this post but nice to see a fellow lindyhopper on the SF. let me guess, judging by your current musical interests and your location, you frequent Lindy Groove? so do i. very looking forward to the Barbara Morrisson show on the 9th.

anyway, keep dancing.

-Jeff

2. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

I just saw jazz singer/pianist Andy Bey at Symphony Space in New York. He's fantastic. How he's managed to fly under the radar all these years (he's pushing 70, I'm pretty sure), I don't know.

3. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

I just went to the iTunes store and bought L'Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud by Miles Davis, and damn. This is really good. Most of it is measured and cool, but the band breaks loose on a couple of cuts and really tears it up. That said, it feels like perfect rainy evening, cocktailing, or dinner music. (Review on my website.) Does anyone have recommendations for something similar in feel?

4. stevo4

stevo4 Senior member

Elevator to the Gallows is the english title for the film. I prefer the cd to the film. A wonderful album.

Speaking of jazz and film, ever see Round Midnight? Dexter Gordon is great.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

i went to the opening night of Lindy Groove but didnt really care for the music so i never went back. i used to frequent Memories (in OC), Swing Pit, Satin Ballroom, the Argyle on occasion etc back when those were happening. i've been meaning to check out that new "sugarfoot stomp" in alhambra on mon nites. it's too bad there are so few places to go dancing at anymore.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

(Get Smart @ 24 Nov. 2004, 4:22) alongside the "jazz classics" i really like "soul jazz" a la Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff etc. hammond organ abounds and really creates an awesome groove. technically jazz, i also dig late 30s-40s big band/swing as i am/was an avid swing dancer/lindyhopper. Jimmy Dorsey's version of "One O Clock Jump" is easily one of the best tunes from that era.
    Get Smart, not sure if you'll even come back to this post but nice to see a fellow lindyhopper on the SF. let me guess, judging by your current musical interests and your location, you frequent Lindy Groove? so do i. very looking forward to the Barbara Morrisson show on the 9th. anyway, keep dancing. -Jeff
    You're a Lindy Hopper as well? I am mostly-retired from the social Lindy Hop scene but run events around the country. I danced in Chicago from 98-02, Minneapolis in 2003, and Nashville for early 04. I'm now back in Chicago and I still DJ out of town sometimes. I have long been a devoted Basie fan and the players he had over the years, specifically Lester Young. Jazz from 1930s Kansas City has always been my personal preference, but I listen to all types of jazz. I started out when small combo soul jazz (aka 'groove') was the vogue idiom of music in Chicago, but all these years later still bask in the brilliant playing that is the Oscar Peterson Trio. Specifically I recommend OP Trio's "Night Train" to the greatest jazz album list we have going on.