• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jay Allen

Ahaz

Reaction score
Jay has been kind enough to keep us updated on his work here, and I've heard nothing but good things from members who own his stuff. I've looked through his site many times, and I've always like his designs, but was never sure how they would fit in with my wardrobe. The colors and printing/whatever he does just seemed kind of...out there. I don't know why the pictures gave me that impression, because the Crucifix tee I just got today is phenomenal. Just awesome - words really can't describe how great this tee looks and feels. If you're out there Jay, are you still selling to us plebs? These pictures can't begin to show you what the shirt is like. The cross is almost 3-D, and the heathered maroon/purple is just sublime. Gah, I'm in love!
inlove.gif
EDIT: www.jayallen.biz

cgeezy

Reaction score
They are ridiculously cool. I got the Rising Sun. The printing is amazing, it's honestly the best shirt I own.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Most people on here who own one seem to have the Rising Sun. How is it in person? Would you consider it loud? Does it draw attention?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Crucifix T looks pretty sick. How do I go about ordering one? Can I do it from the website, or must I contact Jay. How much do they go for, and finally, how is the fit of the shirt? i know he provides measurements on his website, and I like my shirts well fitted. Do they run small, or will a L fit like a L but fitted?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there are questions flying around, Jay, have you ever thought about shirts in XS?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You contact me. Or Jay. Whomever you choose. And whoever you think might be nicer. My email is [email protected], his is [email protected]. Usually glad to hood up a Styleforum member. BTW, the crucifix tee is really cool - looking good Ahaz - I wear mine with a blue The Cast Chandelier hoodie - totally illin'. The 3-D effect of his shirts is really hard to capture on camera. In person, the shirts really jump. The shirts run true to size. Not quite as slim as AA around torso, but slim shoulders and chest. I have th rising sun. Definitely draws attention, but the colors are really brilliant, on a muted background, and if you like the 3-D effect, it's the most 3-D shirt he has, imo.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's Jay doing anyway? I haven't seen him around in a while. Must be really busy filling all of those orders?

Histrion

Reaction score
What's the price of these t-shirts? They are amazingly cool. I don't know, but I'm in love with the 'Bespoke' one.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
How's Jay doing anyway? I haven't seen him around in a while. Must be really busy filling all of those orders?

Yep. Super busy. He still posts though, more in the General section these days...

Prices used to be $30/tee, a little more for a few of the tougher designs, but I'm not sure what the deal is now that there are retailers. Best thing is to contact Jay directly... I'll talk to him about this. Bespoke and 04101 are the designs I wear most often...

Histrion

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. They aren't expensive at all if this is still the price range. I'll most probably order one or two in the next two weeks.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Bespoke and 04101 are the designs I wear most often...

I have the chocolate rain and 04101 shirts. The 04101 is my favorite, and is a really beautiful shirt. I also ordered a sweatshirt from him that I should be receiving in a day or two. Can't wait to see it.

jay allen

Reaction score
I can't tell you how thrilled I am at the positive response I've received from all of the SF members that have purchased shirts and hoodies. Finding SF several months ago really changed everything for me. I will always be greatful to those that took a chance on my crazy work, which to be honest, doesn't look all that great in digital images. It is impossible to capture the "look" and "feel" of the shirts in a flat image. When I started this project I was determined to develop garments that were technically different and graphically interesting. I had no intention of chasing trends, or trying to figure out what people would buy. The only time I strayed from this position was when I developed the "Bespoke" t-shirt. I really wanted to offer something that the SF members would appreciate. Meeting and becoming good friends with Fok has also proven to be an enormous help. His knowledge of this crazy business far exceeds mine and his contacts within the business are amazing. Anyway.....To answer a few questions: 1. I will always sell stuff to SF members at the original price - $30 for shirts.....$80 for Hoddies. I am aware that the retailers that are carrying my line may, at some point, get pissed about this but I'll deal with it when it happens. You guys were supporting me long before I could even get an appointment with any buyer. My Paypal address is [email protected] if you want to purchase anything. I'm pretty well caught up on my retail orders so the ship time shouldn't be too bad. Just bear with me if you don't get it immediately. 2. I haven't been posting much lately because I have been very busy producing all the orders that have come in. There have been issues with suppliers, equipment breakdowns, etc, etc. All the things that make this business so "glamorous". It has been a rewarding few weeks since returning from the Pool Show. It has also been stressful getting everything done by myself. I hope to be in a position to hire an assistant in the very near future. I'm happy to say that I've managed to get out all of my orders on time. One store (B Blaze in KC) actually reordered 3 days after receiving their first shippment. I'm taking that as a good sign. Fred Segal just got their order a couple days ago....it will be interesting to see what happens in LA. Both Uncle Otis in Toronto, and Market in Boston are reporting good sales. All of my Japanese stockist should be receiving their orders in the next 10 days......keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well there. 3. I just got word from YRB magazine (literally while I was writing this post) that I have a full page in their next issue. It is complete and off to the printers. As soon as I get a digital copy I will post it here. Hopefully that sort of press will attract a few more quality retailers. 4. I'm looking forward to posting new work in the next few weeks. The hardest thing about this gig is not being able to continually create new stuff. The creative process take time (especially the way I do it) and it has had to take a back seat to filling orders. I hope you guys find the next round of stuff as interesting as this first batch. I can assure you that it will be like nothing else on the market. That doesn't mean I'll be able to sell it.....but it does mean I can go to sleep at night with a smile on my face. Thanks again for everything.....you guys are the best. Jay

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
The shirts run true to size. Not quite as slim as AA around torso, but slim shoulders and chest. I have th rising sun. Definitely draws attention, but the colors are really brilliant, on a muted background, and if you like the 3-D effect, it's the most 3-D shirt he has, imo.

So would that mean that I'd be better off trying to get an XS if I'm a size small in AA?

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Grapist
So would that mean that I'd be better off trying to get an XS if I'm a size small in AA?
Geez, I'm sorry I didn't answer this in my first post. The supplier I'm currently using doesn't offer an XS at this time. When I go to a cut and sew program (hopefully soon) I will offer the XS. Sorry about that!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Grapist

No. If a small AA fits you, so will a small Jay Allen shirt. There is not that much of a difference, and the shirts fit the same around the shoulders and chest (the too most important areas for fit in a tee shirt, imo). Besides, the shirts don't come in XS.

Edit: Jay already posted. But the above is my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads