• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jay Allen - New Design - Cyborg

ardeetee

Reaction score
really cool, im a software eng so it hits home with me - i do wish it was all 0's and 1's and actually said something though
smile.gif
maybe next time!

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Are we allowed to be honest here?,

I love the colors but the print and concept is a tad cheesy for "my" liking. The tee has a Mid Nineties German Techno Trance vibe.

Before I'm slated for being cruel, I'm not knocking the effort and creativity of this guy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Are we allowed to be honest here?,

I love the colors but the print and concept is a tad cheesy for "my" liking. The tee has a Mid Nineties German Techno Trance vibe.

Before I'm slated for being cruel, I'm not knocking the effort and creativity of this guy.

Actually, I know that Jay appreciates constructive criticism. We were talking about this last night, and an honest and thoughtful criticism is more welcome than silence if you do not like the concept/design/colors/etc...

Fok.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence really; I like it but on the other hand I have a little bit of the nagging feeling that Rye GB has expressed. It does look very nice I am just not sure that I would be comfortable wearing it
confused.gif

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
The tee has a Mid Nineties German Techno Trance vibe.
It's the new retro
smile.gif

I do like the tee, Jay.

When are you going to start printing on some girly tees? Star would look pretty cool on a scoop neck...

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jen
It's the new retro
smile.gif
I do like the tee, Jay. When are you going to start printing on some girly tees? Star would look pretty cool on a scoop neck...

Fok is correct.....I've actually missed the "Real" feedback I used to get here. Don't be shy about "telling me like it is". Doesn't mean I'll agree with you, or change anything, but I do need, and want, constuctive criticism.
Mid Nineties German Techno Trance vibe
I've got to admit I wouldn't know a "Mid Nineties German Techno Trance vibe" if I saw it. I must be channeling my inner Mike Myers....."Would you like to touch my monkey?" This design had been taking up space in my brain for a while. Given the space constraints I have to deal with it just had to come out. Jen- I hope to have several designs for women in the next 60 days. The stuggle has been in finding a shirt that I like. I've got more samples on the way. Hopefully when I dye them they will feel and look the way I want them to. I do think "Star" would look good on a Womens body (shirt). You'll undoubtedly be the first to see it.

minya

Reaction score
Here's some real criticism, Jay: I think it sucks. The shape of the graphic on the shirt is really, really off. It looks like a poorly drawn mirror image of South America. Or something. I think the concept is kinda cool and I really like the colors you managed to pull off, but I think the shape of the print is just terrible and doesn't look interesting. The asymmetry is what kills it. But then again, your designs are a love/hate thing for me, and I've been converted to a few after seeing them in person (Medusa, especially, and I have a feeling I might even like Facebender after seeing it in person)... however, I don't think my opinion's gonna change on this one.
tongue.gif

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
Here's some real criticism, Jay: I think it sucks. The shape of the graphic on the shirt is really, really off. It looks like a poorly drawn mirror image of South America. Or something. I think the concept is kinda cool and I really like the colors you managed to pull off, but I think the shape of the print is just terrible and doesn't look interesting. The asymmetry is what kills it. But then again, your designs are a love/hate thing for me, and I've been converted to a few after seeing them in person (Medusa, especially, and I have a feeling I might even like Facebender after seeing it in person)... however, I don't think my opinion's gonna change on this one.
tongue.gif

And fine criticism it was! Here's the thing....in my mind it's ALL ABOUT the asymmetry. When you juxtapose the unrelenting order of binary code with the random organic shape of the tear away.....you get a Jay Allen shirt. I WANT the shape to be jarring, in an odd spot, and generally not what you think it should be. That sense of disorder is a thread that runs through many of my designs. It appeals to me for reasons that I can't explain. I do appreciate the comments though......keep them coming. I was just telling Fok the other night that I could post a graphic of a dog turn on a piece of white bread and everyone would say.....GREAT JOB JAY!! This is a community that I truly feel fortunate to have found. I was really starting to miss the old days when people gave me feedback that I maybe didn't want to hear, but ultimately found very helpful.

Reaction score
Ha! Sounds like you are talking about the Apollonian/Dionysian aspects of the artist as explored by Nietzsche. Where is that pedantic emoticon? Oh, there it is:
teacha.gif
Not that this is a critique so much as a personal preference, but I like your wordless designs more than the "wordy" ones. When I first saw your homepage, I was attracted to "Nietzsche" and "Halfbreed", but with a little distance, I realized that I like the IDEAS more than the actual designs. As a consumer, I would advise you to rely on the color/graphic aspect of your tees, and ease off on the ideas and words. Just my dos pesetas. Oh, and if you ever made a t-shirt of Sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill, I would guarantee you would sell at least two. (One for me and one as a gift)
laugh.gif

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Ha! Sounds like you are talking about the Apollonian/Dionysian aspects of the artist as explored by Nietzsche. Where is that pedantic emoticon? Oh, there it is:
teacha.gif
Not that this is a critique so much as a personal preference, but I like your wordless designs more than the "wordy" ones. When I first saw your homepage, I was attracted to "Nietzsche" and "Halfbreed", but with a little distance, I realized that I like the IDEAS more than the actual designs. As a consumer, I would advise you to rely on the color/graphic aspect of your tees, and ease off on the ideas and words. Just my dos pesetas. Oh, and if you ever made a t-shirt of Sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill, I would guarantee you would sell at least two. (One for me and one as a gift)
laugh.gif

All of my designs start with an idea. I suppose that isn't markedly different from most designers. It's how I choose to articulate that idea that makes my shirts a bit different from most of the current stuff you see. This isn't to say that my choices are more marketable, because they clearly aren't. I decided early on that I didn't want my stuff to be mistaken for anyone elses . Case in point would be Rogues Gallery and Barking Irons. If you didn't look at the tag if would be easy to confuse the two brands. There are many other examples of this issue in todays market. It may sound self serving, and to some degree it probably is, but I give no thought to the marketability of my designs. I want to carve out a niche market that appreciates my odd design sensibilities. From a business perspective this probably isn't the smartest move. What I'm experiencing is that people approach my stuff on a design by design basis. They love some of them and hate others. I will undoubtedly never have a "BRAND" that people fully embrace because it will never be that cohesive. I'm not very good at editing myself....and probably never will be. I like to think of my shirts as comparable to meeting a woman for the first time. You may initially be drawn to the "design".......but eventually the "idea" counts for much more. Ultimately what we are all looking for is both. I believe the majority of my designs have valid and interesting ideas as the foundation for the actual graphic. (BTW, I really get your point about the idea being better than the design) Whether the graphic appeals to people is secondary, in my mind, to the integrity of the concept. Again...not the best business model, but the only way I know how to do this. I'm scared to death of reversing the process and concentrating on designing into trends. The day I start doing that I know it's all but over for me. As I said earlier the goal is to marry an interesting "idea" with a good "graphic". Clearly I don't always succeed. A large part of my limited appeal is the techniques I've developed over the last year. As many on this board will attest, the shirts are vastly better in person than in any of the images on my site, or that I post here. I am looking for a quality stockist in Philadelphia. When I find one you should go in and take a look at the product itself. This isn't to say that you will immediately like my designs.....but you will get a better feel for what I'm all about. As for Sisyphus rolling a rock up a hill.......that concept appeals to me on many levels. Believe me.....there are many days that I feel like Sisyphus.

Reaction score
Well, I am hoping Facebender hits me today, and I will promptly post pics and give you a kneejerk reaction.

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Well, I am hoping Facebender hits me today, and I will promptly post pics and give you a kneejerk reaction.
I'm such a nimrod! I didn't put your SF handle together with your name. I guess you won't have to go look at my stuff at your local quality retailer.....because it is arriving in the mail. It should be there today as it was mailed on the 25th. I'm looking forward to your impression of Facebender. If, for any reason, it doesn't appeal to you, just let me know. I'll be happy to swap it out for something else.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sisyphus? That got my attention!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads