• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese translation, anyone?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the signature on the tang of a Japanese wakizashi (mid-length) blade:
DSC01706.jpg
DSC01695.jpg
I've probably posted the photos upside-down, as I don't read Japanese at all - the pencil-on-Post-It beside it is my own faithful reproduction of it. Sorry if it's presumptuous of me to use the forum for this, but if anyone could help, I promise to post some nice sword-pr0n pics of it later.
smile.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't help with the translation, but how old is that blade?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Given the name 光平, the Japanese Wikipedia gives the following entry for a notable Edo-period swordmaker named 日置 光平 (Heki Mitsuhira).

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%...85%89%E5%B9%B3

More information can be found here:

http://www.touken-sato.com/web-gallery/mituhira.htm

I'm not able to give a translation verbatim, as swords are something of which I have not the vaguest knowledge, but it says that he had already become a swordmaker by 1633 and got a notable commission in 1652.

Someone with more talent and more specific knowledge will have to tackle the actual translation.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll need more complete and detailed images or rubbings of the tang to get info on that blade.

Assuming that the "Kouhei" that NR dug up is the same guy that made yours, here are some images of a Heki Mitsuhira/Kouhei wak that I googled up. Note that the mei (signature) on this one's nakago (tang) is in a different form and location than yours--this has a full inscription down the nakago, with the "kouhei" at the bottom while your images have the kanji "kouhei" right next to the mekugi-ana (peg hole) and don't detail the rest of the inscription. You'd want full-tang images like these to show someone. If you want to find someone who can tell you more, hit up some of the sources on Rich Stein's page.

2008kantei_big.jpg

2008ha_big.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That temper is stunning.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the chrysanthemum.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
The chrysanthemum crest with sixteen petals can only be used by the Imperial household, which means the sword pictured was a significant commission. The sources I found mention that there are examples of Mitsuhira/Kouhei swords featuring the chrysanthemum crest.

It will probably be obvious to anyone with a visual literacy of Chinese characters that the signatures on Lucky Strike's sword and the one posted by retronotmetro differ quite a bit. The characters on Lucky Strike's are quite conventional, while the ones in retronotmetro's pics are somewhat stylized. What this might signify I couldn't guess.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yet the Imperial Chrysanthemum is a stamp and an indication of the maker's renown, but I still prefer the temper line as a mark of his skill.

~ Huntsman

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
It will probably be obvious to anyone with a visual literacy of Chinese characters that the signatures on Lucky Strike's sword and the one posted by retronotmetro differ quite a bit. The characters on Lucky Strike's are quite conventional, while the ones in retronotmetro's pics are somewhat stylized. What this might signify I couldn't guess.

I took that to mean that either the blade was made by another person who used the same mei, or that the blade is gimei (faked signature). Gimei blades can still be quite good (and even valuable) in their own right as blades.

A skilled sword appraiser (or even a knowledgeable collector) could probably look at the blade geometry and the style of the hamon to confirm whether LS's blade is a Mitsuhira/Kouhei or not.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I am quoting this picture....

Originally Posted by retronotmetro
2008ha_big.jpg

...just to annoy people who are trying to scroll through the page.

Happy New Year boys.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very impressive and helpful - thank you both, Nantucket and Retro. The blade seems to be of good, but not outstanding quality, with some nicks and scratches. The patina on the blade and some of the various fittings (mostly gilded sawasa bronze) seems to indicate some age, but it seems this one is at least worth researching properly. I'll post some nice sword pics as soon as I'm back at work.
smile.gif
Oh, and a Happy New Year, all!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could be an interesting blade. However, check as mentioned Stein's website (retronotmetro knows what he is saying). Also, to be quite honest, you will need significant knowledge to work out if a) the blade is indeed by the smith who's signature you see on the nakago and b) that it would be worth getting restored or papered. The NBTHK verification process can be very expensive and time consuming. I would suggest you look for a Nihonto group in Switzerland or nearby and take it to a meeting; see what they can surmise. As for the inscription itself, a sword could have the smith's signature, have a forged signature, be "mumei" (with no signature), have test-cutting results (those are always interesting) or even commissioning information (although that seems to be much less common than mumei or just signed). You said it is a wakizashi? What sort of length are we talking about? Btw, having nicks and pitting may not necessarily be a problem. Now, active rust could be a serious problem. I would highly recommend as an intermediary measure oiling it very lightly ideally with choji oil or if you have no access to it, plain unscented mineral oil (choji is basically a tiny part of clove oil and the rest mineral oil). Do not use any polish or restorative agents, of course
wink.gif
P.p.s. having a nihonto can be somewhat analogous to having an old exotic car. Keeping the thing in good shape can be expensive and time consuming, which is another reason I only occasionally buy koshirae (fittings) and have resisted the urge to buy an old tanto or wakizashi in my (admittedly puny) price range.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blade doesn't belong to me, so I won't restore or fiddle with it at all, save for keeping it dry and safe. I leave that stuff to the collectors/technical conservers.

I'm very far away from the blade now, but I'll be back with some good photos in a week or so, I hope. Thank you again, all - this has been really good help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads