1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Japanese Suit innovation

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnw86, May 4, 2005.

1. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

From an article in the LA Times--apparently the government is pushing this so they don't need to use as much air conditioning in offices this summer. http://www.latimes.com/news....adlines

2. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

The shalwar kameez looks so much better and is so much more effective. [​IMG]

3. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

If the Japanese go business casual, it's all over. There's no hope.

4. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

For a politician, Junichiro Koizumi has great hair. [​IMG] Just lookit that hair.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

can't see it - blinded by his expanse of white t-shirt under that puckered blue shirt.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

He does have nice hair. And does anyone else notice Koizumi's striking resemblence to Richard Gere?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

That ensemble looks like the most cardinal of sins.

Business casual.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

They are also contriving to put forth this outfit. That pocket square adds to the ridiculousness. [​IMG]

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

Hata's been wearing those short sleeved suits for years. I've seen other people with them as well.

What's even worse is seeing Hata wear one of those with the white campaign gloves, out in the sun. I saw him wearing a navy blue short sleeved suit once during a campaign, and it gave him a nice red white and blue appearance--white gloves, blue suit, red arms.

10. Lydia

Lydia Senior Member

When I was little I always wondered why buildings had to be kept so cold. It became clear while having to wear a tie working in Hong Kong and China. As far as I can tell, a huge sum of money is wasted and pollution created because of society's need for to be men to be in suits.
    There would be incredible savings on power and discomfort if stringent dress codes could be abolished. The endless night of western business attire's imperium has caused me much discomfort and loss in productivity during summers. Some kind of alternative or, at least, a downgrading to just collar shirt and slacks would be nice.

I think it is infantile for society to be hung up on this when brownouts occur all the time, air-conditioners raise the general level of heat in the city, and power-costs are skyrocketing.

Living in our air-conditioned society also makes me sniffle all summer, have sweat around my neck even with the AC, sweat on the way to work even without a tie on, business casual. Professionalism, fine, but I find myself more productive when I am comfortable.

I know people here won't appreciate my comments, but I regret that the West was able to impose it's restrictive and uncomfortable sartorial standards on places so much hotter than Europe.

11. Lydia

Lydia Senior Member

But the shalwar kameez does seem like a good answer. Better than Hata's outfit. Though safari suits of some kind that don't try to be business suits would be fun.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I know that during the summer the temperature in Tokyo is at least 5-10 degrees higher than the surrounding areas due to the aircons blowing all the hot air outside.

Literally every room of every urban building has its own air conditioning unit. So on a hot day, Tokyoites vent the combined temperatures of 35,000,000 people out into the streets.

13. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

I'm fine with whatever they come up with, suits be damned.

14. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've always found Koizumi to be very handsome, but that outfit is pretty weak.

Haha, look at Bush's cowboy belt.