• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese shoes

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In looking at Jun Kuwana's website (see here, for example) and at those Japanese shoe magazines, it's apparent that there are a not insignificant number of high-end Japanese-made shoes. Guild of Crafts, for example, appears to offer both RTW and fully-bespoke shoes, and some of the examples look very nice: I love this take-off of the EG Stowe and several others:
cl03.jpg
Has anyone ever seen such Japanese-made shoes in person? Are they as good as they look?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the fanatical attention to detail prevalent in many Japanese goods, I wouldn't doubt the quality and high finish of Japanese shoes. I should go take a look myself. It's only 2 hours away by plane.

(hrr need to get more vacation hours grrr)

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have never seen the Spigola Works in person, but am planning to visit Guild of Crafts sometime this autumn. will report back. Guild of Crafts offers Sunday classes in shoe making where students make a completed pair of shoes. Seven classes, 10 am to 5 pm for roughly $1,500.

Bic

Last edited:

My View

Reaction score
I have never seen a pair in person. In the Japanese shoe collectors' magazines, you can find several listings and feature stories of high-end Japanese shoemakers. The prices sometimes even rival those of high-end Italian makers such as Lattanzi.

I agree with Alias about the high quality of Japanese goods in general. Recall how Lexus has now become a major competitor to BMW, Mercedes-Benz etc. worldwide.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...even though Lexus is not available in Japan
smile.gif
The Japanese just call them Toyota's

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any in person, but if I could, I'd like to see these: http://www.oshitate.com/shop/koji%20...20products.htm AMAZING.. This guy is definitely in the running for the world's most talented shoemaker.
Not to mention, a pretty cool first name, heh. Naturlaut sent me a link to a shoemaker (I believe from Osaka) I'll try and dig it up. koji

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any in person, but if I could, I'd like to see these: http://www.oshitate.com/shop/koji%20...20products.htm AMAZING.. This guy is definitely in the running for the world's most talented shoemaker.
Those are some truly gorgeous shoes.... drool.... Now the only thing I have to do is to fly to Japan for the inital measurements and consultation, then a fitting or two...
confused.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it possible for you tell us a little bit more information about the "Roberto Ugolini Fatto A Mano Da Vass" shoes?
They are the U-last shoes. The U was originally designed for the Ugolini RTW line, for sale at Isetan in Japan. For those who do not know of Ugolini, a link to their website: http://www.roberto-ugolini.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads