• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite excited for this new workshop I've been working with. Handwelted, handstitched outsole stitch at the waist, and superb finishing. Also, the maker is a great guy!

The finishing is definitely at a high standard, and the waist is sublime :bounce2:

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
Aiming at around 1050 euro ex vat. Lasted shoe trees for around 80.
Some leathers and makeups will be extra, but no mto surcharge.

We're getting the first round now in August. Mainly bottoming and finish remaining.

Will be a small and top level production.

Looking forward to getting myself a pair in August! Keep us updated :fistbump:

dan'l

Reaction score
I have been following this thread through the years and ogling over the beautiful shoes. I never really considered using a Japanese shoemaker but after working with two shoemakers in Europe, I am tempted to use my next trip to Japan to meet one or two local makers and commission something. I am willing to commit mid- to long-term, meaning I probably won't be able to have a fitting until six months (or longer) later and then final shoes perhaps up to two years after my initial order, but I would like to try...

With all that said, would someone be willing to summarize the shoemakers who are currently taking new clients, along with approximate wait times and rough price brackets (e.g. under ¥250k / over ¥300k)? I know some have a turn-around time of 3 to 5 years, which would be too long for me. Pricing is always a tricky question, but I'd like to have a ballpark figure in mind before I start contacting them.

I hope it is appropriate to ask the question - even though I've read many posts, it is tough to go back through them all to build an accurate overview. I did consider sending a PM to some of the more frequent posters, but thought my question could benefit others.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been following this thread through the years and ogling over the beautiful shoes. I never really considered using a Japanese shoemaker but after working with two shoemakers in Europe, I am tempted to use my next trip to Japan to meet one or two local makers and commission something. I am willing to commit mid- to long-term, meaning I probably won't be able to have a fitting until six months (or longer) later and then final shoes perhaps up to two years after my initial order, but I would like to try...

With all that said, would someone be willing to summarize the shoemakers who are currently taking new clients, along with approximate wait times and rough price brackets (e.g. under ¥250k / over ¥300k)? I know some have a turn-around time of 3 to 5 years, which would be too long for me. Pricing is always a tricky question, but I'd like to have a ballpark figure in mind before I start contacting them.

I hope it is appropriate to ask the question - even though I've read many posts, it is tough to go back through them all to build an accurate overview. I did consider sending a PM to some of the more frequent posters, but thought my question could benefit others.
If you're in the US, you could fly to NYC and commission Koji Suzuki through the Armoury. He travels to NYC on a somewhat regular schedule

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in the US, you could fly to NYC and commission Koji Suzuki through the Armoury. He travels to NYC on a somewhat regular schedule

Any idea roughly the cost of his shoes?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea roughly the cost of his shoes?

The Armoury says starting at $4200.

dan'l

Reaction score
Thanks, but I’m not based in the US. His shoes are wonderful, though!

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would seem that your wait time and logistics seem good. For a real ballpark figures from the top of my head:

Marquess, +/- Yen 380,000, 1 year
Seiji McCarthy, ditto, ditto
Fukuda, +/- Yen 450,000, 2 years
Hayano, Yen 330,000, 1 year
Ando, Yen 200,000, 1 year
Clematis, +/- 3-0,000, 1 year
Barbavitra, Yen 2-0,000, 8 months
Kiyo, Yen 2-0,000, 6 months
Anonymous (H. Akasaka), Yen 180,000, 1 year

[Yen 2-0,000 means 200,000 something, i.e 230,000, 240,000 etc.]

Full bespoke is at the top end of the price range, and at the bottom end could be discussed with the maker - that is is they may have a last and may be able to make adjustments etc. but may prefer MTO at this price range. Also, more frequent visits may be needed with the lower ranges. Best really to see their instagrams, and if you get a good feel, stick with your feelings and proceed. The other factor is location - the pricier ones are easier to get to. Japan is a pretty fairly priced hierarchy of price/standard, though bespoke shoes being handmade still have some gaps between makers. You have to balance this yourself. At the top end of the range you will have fitting shoes until the shoes fit perfectly, and the bottom less, but here again, contact each maker and develop a feel for their shoes and work style.

If you are adventurous, search Shoegazing and the shoe competition rankings and seek out a maker who may be there and see if you could work with them. There are now 100+ shoemakers in Japan, maybe more!

Enjoy the experience

Enjoy!

dan'l

Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for the thoughtful post! It’s exactly what I was looking for. I only recognize about half the names from this thread. Have the others been mentioned as well, for example, Ando or H. Akasaka? Do you have some rough figures for Ann.bespoke? I was perusing his Instagram and like the aesthetic.

Good suggestion on searching the shoe making rankings!

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ando came 5th and 18th in the first and second Shoegazing contest.

I contacted him through his Instagram account.

H Akasaka has been in Western Tokyo for about 10 years I believe, and was previously working with a lady who makes shoes, but whose name escapes me. He recently had an exhibition/trunk show at Hankyu Mens.

Ann`s prices are not on his site, http://ann-bespoke.com/Ann2018/index.html, but I remember them being in the Yen 380,000 range if my memory is correct. Obviously leather choices can change this range too. A trip to Osaka is necessary though.

The other thing to bear in mind is that shoe trees are sometimes extra - makers quote both ex and incl. prices for shoe-trees. Some also can work tax-free, but inevitably the smaller ones don't offer this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads